American History Route


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Baltimore
June 7th 2007
Published: June 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This has been a busy week full of American history. After leaving Warrenton, VA we headed south and set up a base camp at the KOA in Charlottesville, VA. The first day we went to Jamestown. They have added significantly to it due to the 400th anniversary of its settlement - 3 replica ships, interactive stations in the fort and an excellent exhibit and movie in the new visitor's center.

The next day we visited Monticello which reminded us of what an amazing person Thomas Jefferson was looking at the house, gardens,and plantation. Later in the week we visited Poplar Forest the small house he built later as a retreat to get away from the hectic life at Mmonticello (shades of the Petit Palace at Versailles). It is a beautiful and unique octagonal home obviously related to Monticello. Fully restored outside, but still being worked on inside. According to one of the tour guides Pres. Kennedy had a dinner at the White House for all the Nobel Prize winners from the western hemisphere and made the statement that the dining room held more brain power that night than it had since Thomas Jefferson dined there alone.

We also visited James Monroe's home which is right next door to Monticello. Also interesting and nice to see following Monticello since it is much more representative of a 1700 Virginia planters home. Accomodations were far different then. In the colonial style there were very few bedrooms and guests slept in a trundle bed in the same room as the host. If you are thinking about downsizing your home, but worrying about where to put guests - just put a trundle bed under yours and you will be set.

Headed south to Roanoke for a couple of days to visit a college friend from Montana. Had a great visit and some great southern food (also great Japanese cook at the table food) at the restaurant her son-in-law manages. Trip would have been perfect if I hadn't gotten a bad chest cold and developed laryngitis. Didn't stop us from catching up on the news, however. I actually ended up with laryngitis for 3 days (David was hoping for the rest of the trip). Am now doing fine. A major downside of laryngitis is being in the KOA shower and having a workman call in to see if anyone is there. Thought I would need to do Morse Code on the wall, but finally got his attention.

We moved from Charlottesville to Williamsport, MD just ouside Hagerstown - again a KOA campground. This made a great base for visiting Gettysburg and then Baltimore. If you ever visit the Gettysburg battlefield, do the electric map show. It shows all the troop movements over the course of the 3 day battle and makes the tour of the battlefield more meaningful.

Yesterday we went to Baltimore to eat crabcakes and visit the harbor area. We went to G&M Restaurant recommended by Pat and Bruce. Got there around 11:30 for lunch, not too busy. By noon there were no spaces left in the lot. The place was packed. The crabcakes were wonderful and even though Bruce warned us about the size, we couldn't believe it. We both only ate 1 of the 2 cakes and as soon as we finished we had to go across the street to the liquor store to buy a cooler and ice so we could take the rest home. Last night we had a couple of crackers and a glass of wine for dinner. We were still full from the crabcake at lunch. We then walked through the harbor area which we needed to do after that lunch. The harbor area has been renovated and is a great place with several ships and a submarine to tour, a maritime museum and the national aquarium.

Today we biked about 10 miles along the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (C & O Canal). It parallels the Potomic River and goes from DC to Cumberland 184 miles upstream. It was built to handle commerce along the river. Took longer (and more money) to build than projected. By the time it was finished the railroads had taken over the business and the canal was only used commercially for a limited time. In the late 1980's it was made a historic site and the old mule trail refurbished to be a walking/biking trail. Beautful wooded area with the river on one side, woods and rocky cliffs on the other. Saw several deer along the way. Came home and ate the rest of our crabcakes. Just as good the second day and again this will last us until tomorrow.

Tomorrow we head north on the long trek to Maine. Will only do overnight stops until we get to southern Maine.

Our camper has a rolldown awning which we are really enjoying. Rained a couple of nights ago and it was so nice to sit outside and listen to the rain. Also provides great sun shade in the afternoon. What we wouldn't have given to have one on our RV last summer. It was too hot to sit inside, but not comfortable in the bright sun outside. Can't believe the size of many of the RV's we see. Have only talked to a few people. They pull in late, hook up their cable and never step outside. Interesting perspective on "camping."

Until, the next episode - Barb and David


Advertisement



Tot: 0.386s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1489s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb