Aquarium, IMAX and Walkabout


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
February 21st 2013
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 29.9566, -90.0687

The weather prediction said we would be in for a day of rain which by 5 pm thankfully didn't happen. We planned for a wet day with a visit to the aquarium, IMAX and then a bit of a walkabout.

Had breakfast at a German restaurant across the street. Excellent food.

While walking to the aquarium we discovered a workshop where they manufactured gas and electric lights from copper.

The film at the IMAX was about the decrease in the wetlands and how that worsened the situation when Katrina struck. Excellent film which also outlined some of the efforts being undertaken to restore the wetlands. The pictures of the effects of Katrina were pretty devastating.

The aquarium was excellent. Even got a chance to get a picture of a penguin out for a stroll.

When we were flying into NO a fellow passenger mentioned that one of the hotels (turned out to be the Westin) has a lobby on the 11th floor with a view over the French Quarter.

Our final stop except for dinner was the Café du Monde which is famous for the local doughnuts (beignets) which we had enjoyed on our previous visit and returned for another sample. One of
Lighting WorkshopLighting WorkshopLighting Workshop

Gas & Electric
those must-dos when in NO.

Dinner was at an Oyster Bar close to the hotel. Excellent meal, oysters on the half shell with a spinach salad followed by bread pudding which is a NO specialty.

Tomorrow we head out to the airport to pick up our rental car and head northwest to a community called Natchitoches in the Cane River Historic area. It is about a 5 hour drive.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Old & RestoredOld & Restored
Old & Restored

Quite a bit happening in the French Quarter. Similar to what we have seen in Europe


Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 18; dbt: 0.015s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb