Its a Family Affair


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Abs and I were up early again. After Caroline awoke, I got the car from valet and zipped over to pre-check in Joe, Caroline's cousin. Joe and his son Ryan were coming in from Florida to spend the day with us and would leave on Sunday morning. After getting him squared away I found Tyler at breakfast and warned him that Joe may need to stash his bag in Tyler and Milliken's room if his room was not ready when he arrived. Tyler was cool with that and told me that he had lost his folding chair the previous night, left it outside a port a john. Bummer.
Then I was back to my hotel to help Caroline and Abcde get ready for the day. Caroline, Abcde and I headed off to Jackson Square sans Vallery and Joyce; we just move faster than they do and they knew where we were headed. "It's time to play the music, It's time to light the lights, But now lets get things started"

Tim Laughlin 11:15am Jackson Square Stage
A native of New Orleans, Tim Laughlin fell in love with the sound of the clarinet before he ever held one after hearing a childhood friend practicing his clarinet



Tyler's a Poser or posing... something like thatRead photo story!
. He was nine when he received his first horn and shortly after became hooked on jazz after hearing it on the radio. His first job was on a Mardi Gras float when he was only fifteen. After finishing high school he began working around town and eventually joined the musicians union where he would meet and perform with some of his most influential mentors.He has recorded a dozen solo CDs among which “The Isle of Orleans” (2003) is an award-winning collection of Laughlin originals. With this, he was the first and only New Orleans clarinetist to ever write and record an entire album of originals. The success of this CD caught the attention of “Music Minus One” and prompted Laughlin to license the master for the 2004 issue, along with “New Orleans Classics.” The CDs in the two publications include hand-picked musicians with whom students of all ages can play along.



As Hurricane Katrina brought her devastation on the Gulf Coast, Laughlin and his band drove overnight to catch their flight and perform at a festival in South America. From there, they watched the aftermath of what was to become the worst natural disaster in US history. Just a week after, the US State Department asked Tim to perform a one month goodwill “thank you” tour in Peru, Mexico and Canada. All had given aid to Katrina evacuees. The October 2005 tour included public concerts, benefits and master classes to elementary, middle and high school student as well as college students. With the students, the band performed and discussed the relevance and importance of their instruments and New Orleans Jazz, Benefits included one in Merida, Mexico, raising over $30,000 to help replace instrument and equipment
for the New Orleans Center For the Creative Arts.
In 2009, Laughlin along with his good friend Pete Fountain opened the legendary Blue Room at the newly renovated Roosevelt Hotel in New Orleans, quickly selling out both nights. Today, you can catch Tim at some of his favorite clubs in New Orleans such as The Bombay Club, The Palm Court, Snug Harbor and The Windsor Court Hotel. Tim and his wife Juliet live on Royal Street in the French Quarter. They enjoy hosting small parties and jam sessions or salons for friends and visitors,keeping the old New Orleans tradition of “open house.”



We had found a small space near the shade of a palm tree when Joe and Ryan joined us in Jackson square. Joe had needed to feed the child on their way in but was hungry himself. After a quick verbal tour of possibilities I went for the Duck po-boy and crawfish cheesecake, and Joe went to the Court of 2 Sisters for their turtle soup and crawfish louise. These were shared around and devoured. Caroline had settled on her drink for the fest and was sharing her Mango Daquairi and I had continued with Bourbon and Pepsi. Tyler and Milliken had stopped by briefly but Milliken was feeling the effects of too much sun and took Tyler in search of shade and food at Bubba Gumps.

Kermit Ruffins and the Barbeque Swingers 12:45pm Jackson Square StageWhether listening to a track on his newest CD, engaging him in conversation or hearing his voice on an answering machine message, one word springs immediately to mind to describe Kermit Ruffins. Passion. The New Orleans native lives it, plays it and sings about it, and
nowhere is it more evident than when he discusses his craft, the swinging, good-time jazz that lured him in as a teenager and continues to whet his appetite even three decades and over 10 solo recordings later.
At this point in his career, in fact, having fun at work is a prerequisite. The mandate for fun in performing traces back to a musical role model, Louis Armstrong. Though he grew up in a decade when Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen and Madonna were at the top of late-teen
playlists, Ruffins still vividly and emotionally recalled the moment when Armstrong, a New Orleans icon, became the be-all and end-all of his musical universe. “When I started out playing, it was down on the streets in the French Quarter for tips, and wed sit and watch all the
guys in suits going inside to play in the clubs,” he said. “I was watching one day when, all of a sudden, I heard one trumpet on the jukebox. I was 19 or 20 years old, and it was Louis doing a solo on When You’re Smiling. I was so overwhelmed that I went that day and bought all the CDs of his that I could find. I started to watch videos all the time, and from then on, whenever my friends got together to play, wed be drinking, eating barbecue and watching Louis Armstrong.”
A visit to “Satchmo’s” former home in New York since labeled a national landmark and transformed into a Queens College museum was similarly life-changing for Ruffins, who eagerly, and humbly, accepts any comparisons to his idol. “I really can’t put into words what that meant,” he said. “You look at the stairs out front where he would give lessons to neighborhood kids, and then you go through the house and see his rooms and press buttons and hear his conversations, it was so powerful for me. I was very choked up. That’s someone who really, really led one of Americas true art forms. He was really the cherry on top of New Orleans music. And now I see it being passed on to younger kids, and for me to have a role in that and to maybe do the things he did is so spiritual to me.”

Ruffins legacy-in-progress includes co-founding the Rebirth Brass Band in 1983. Rebirths creation was inspired by The Dirty Dozen Brass Band which was credited with bringing influences of funk and contemporary bebop into New Orleans style brass bands. In 1992, he founded the Barbecue Swingers, a traditional jazz quintet that mixes music with another of his true loves, food. That combination helped create his first release for Basin Street Records, The Barbecue Swingers Live, recorded at Tipitina’s in New Orleans on Nov. 14, 1997.And now, hundreds of shows and barbecues later, prolonging the status of jazz in New Orleans is among Ruffins pet projects. He consistently plays at venues that cater to the younger set and is often visible in the audience at local sporting events and other activities where some of the city’s youth are performing. “You can go out on any given night and see 30 or 40 bands playing,” he said. “All over the city, whether its at the schools or somewhere else, kids are still excited about this kind of music because its the tradition thats been handed down and its what they’ve been listening to for years.”

He played himself in the HBO series named “Treme” for the neighborhood and lifestyle essential to its musical and cultural history. The area was also inspiration for his CD, “Livin a Treme Life” his seventh for Basin Street Records.

After Kermit we headed over to the Zydeco Stage. I took Ryan on another food run in a futile search for "something with vegetables". Ryan ended up with a small serving of potato salad (which he did not like, it was mustard based) and 2 servings of mac and cheese and an alligator sausage. I brought back another portion of Zataran's fried catfish and rice. It was so tasty.





Lost Bayou Ramblers 3:45pm Chevron Cajun/Zydeco ShowcaseLost Bayou Ramblers was formed in 1999 by brothers Andre and Louis Michot, performing the roots cajun music they learned as members of Les Frères Michot, the family band their father and uncles formed in the 80’s. The brothers quickly began playing clubs and festivals around
louisiana, and taking the traditional 
music they were raised with to new levels of rhythmic energy and spontaneity, producing the punk and psychedelic labels given to the band by reviews over the years. 

In 2012, with 5 albums under their belt, including a grammy nomination for their 2007 release Live A La Blue Moon, the band released its most progressive and sonically experimental record to date; Mammoth Waltz. With the stylings of producer Korey Richey (arcade fire, givers) and the help of guest artists Gordon Gano, Scarlett Johansson, and Dr. John, Mammoth Waltz was named #2 in the “top 21 louisiana albums of the 21st century” by times picayune, and acted as an invitation for all music lovers to tune in to the hypnotic cajun rhythms lost bayou ramblers have been known for since their inception in 1999.

Lost Bayou Ramblers’ contribution to the score of Beasts of the Southern Wild in 2012 brought them further international recognition, and continuing performances with wordless music orchestra and score composers Benh Zeiltin and Dan Romer. 2014 brought lbr the support slot on arcade fire’s reflektor tour, plus a live feature on world café, and #1 on “david dye’s five favorite live music moments in and out of the world café studio”, as well as the release of gasa gasa live, recorded at New Orleans’ uptown experimental music venue, one of 4 shows that day in the crescent city. 
After 15 years of touring, recording, and collaborating and an amazing line-up of musicians including Korey Richey (electric bass), Johnny Campos (electric guitar) and Eric Heigle (drums), the band has continually integrated new sonic elements to its live performances, always experimenting and growing the show to what it’s become today, an eclectic mix of modern sounds and rhythms with ancient cajun melodies and lyrics.



Dwyane Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers 5:30pm Chevron Cajun/Zydeco Showcase“America’s Hottest Accordion” winner, Dwayne (Dopsie) Rubin, plays a unique, high energy style of zydeco. Dwayne hails from one of the most influential Zydeco families in the world. Although inspired by tradition, he has developed his own high energy style that defies existing stereotypes and blazes a refreshingly distinct path for 21st century Zydeco music. This singer/songwriter and accordionist has performed all over the world since debuting his band, Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers, at age 19.
Dwayne, born March 3, 1979 in Lafayette, Louisiana, was the last of eight children. Dwayne attributes his musical ablilities to his father, Rockin’ Dopise, Sr., a pioneer of Zydeco music. As a small child, Dwayne was interested in the washboard, but quickly realized he had incredible talent with an accordion. He has played the accordion since age seven and states, “This is my calling – Zydeco music is in my blood and it is my heart and soul.” As a tribute to his late father, the most influential person in his life, Dwayne plans to record an album of his Dad’s greatest Zydeco hits.
Dwayne and his Hellraisers recorded a live CD released September 2011 which features a limited edition double LP album as a bonus. He released another cd called BEEN GOOD TO YOU. “Dwayne takes the instruments and traditions of zydeco to new levels infusing blues, soul and funk with a driving rub-board rhythm. The Zydeco Hellraisers’ sound is relentless, pulsating and funky, easily appealing to fans of all genres.” – Toledo City Paper

Ryan was asked to dance but after turning her down Joe took the woman for a spin. After much begging and pleading for something sweet Joe gave Ryan some money and I walked him over to the Fudge Shoppe where he loitered wanting to get free samples until I told him we have to go. He ended up buying both a chocolate, candy coated rice crispy treat and 3 enormous marshmallows on a stick that had been chocolate dipped and rolled in more candy. I think the boy has a sweet tooth. Caroline and Abcde, Joyce and Vallery all headed back to the hotel while Ryan, Joe, and I went to try and see Tank and the Bangas. Caroline is going to leave Abcde with Vallery and Joyce and try to come out with Joe and me.



Tank and the Bangas 7:20pm Tropical Isle Hand Grenade Stage
Tank and The Bangas were formed in 2011 at an open mic set in New Orleans, centered at a shot gun house, Jerk Chicken Sam’iches and a drum set. Instantaneously this group knew that they had something that stirred crowds that cried out for original music from them. If you’re from New Orleans, you know all the ingredients to make a good gumbo. Your seasonings have to mix well, your roux has to be thick, and your meat has to be cut to perfection. Tank and The Bangas are what you call a great gumbo! Originating in New Orleans, Tank and The Bangas have all the qualities that relates them, to the city that birth them but a flair that separates them as well. Their performances range from being “One of the most energetic shows you’ll ever see” to “A gospel tent in Mississippi”. Rummaging through their sound like a thrift store hippie, you’ll find the Bangas to provoke a musical reference of Rhythmic Soul and Spoken word among other genres such as Rock, Gospel, Funk, and Folk.
Combining the various musical technique among the Bangas, coupled with the instilling play on lyrics from the lead vocalist; Tank and The Bangas have quilted a unique sound that singles them as one of the most distinctive groups to come out of New Orleans.


Group members include Tank/ Lead vocalist/Norman Spence on Bass/keyboard, Joshua Johnson/Drums, Merell Burkett/keys/ Nita Bailey/Percussion; and various other Bangas.

We only stayed for a little while for Tank and the Bangas, the crowd was a bit thick and we were getting worn out. We headed over to catch the trolley to take us close to Joe and Ryan's hotel but the trolley only takes exact change and we had nothing smaller than a 10 between us. We ended up walking the whole way back to the hotel, a bit over a mile in flip flops. It was not too much of a wait and Caroline met up with us. We had a round of drinks in the hotel bar and then took an Uber to our hotel. I was pretty well wiped out and went on up to the room and retrieved Abs from the women. She had crowded Vallery right out of bed, (she snuggles with her feet in your spleen). Caroline and Joe walked next door to Brothers and came back with a box of fried fish and chips. The fish was excellent but I will admit I was pretty well too tired to have much of an appetite, this was the latest I had stayed up the whole trip besides the first day of driving into Birmingham. Joe headed out to wander Bourbon Street and everyone else called it a night.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb