Festival Day Two


Advertisement
Published: May 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

And history repeats itself. Abcde and I are up early and head downstairs for coffee. I like Hampton Inn's Robust Blend and Abs drinks the decaf at room temp, both of us like it black and bitter. As we sit and watch the news we find President Trump had bombed Syrian airfields in response to Syrians poisoning other Syrians with chemical weapons. At least Trump did what Hillary said he should do? So both Democrats AND Republicans can be happy about bombing a third world country into the 4 dimension? But I digress, this travelogue is about the French Quarter Festival, the greatest free festival ever! Or at least that I have ever been to...Eventually we rouse Wife, cycle through the shower and once presentable, head out to enjoy the city and the beautiful day that awaits us.

Tuba Skinny 11:15am Jackson Square StageFormed in in 2009, Tuba Skinny has steadily evolved from a loose collection of street musicians into a solid ensemble dedicated to bringing the traditional New Orleans sound to audiences around the world. Drawing on a wide range of musical influences—from spirituals to Depression-era blues, from ragtime to traditional jazz—their sound evokes the rich musical heritage of their New Orleans home. The band has gained a loyal following through their distinctive sound, their commitment to reviving long-lost songs, and their barnstorming live performances.
Caroline was rocking a new hairstyle


Banu Gibson & the New Orleans Hot Jazz 12:45pm Jackson Square Stage
Today, Banu (bah’new) Gibson stands virtually at the top of her field. A superior and swinging jazz singer, Banu is one of the few vocalists of her generation to maintain exclusive loyalty to songs of the 1920s, ’30s, and ’40s. Rather than mimic singers of the past, she mixes fresh renditions of Tin Pan Alley standards and jazz classics by Gershwin, Ellington, Berlin, Carmichael, Waller, Porter, et al. A powerful force on stage as well as on her CDs on the Swing Out label, her enthusiasm and showmanship are highlighted by her wide range and
versatility.

Recently, Banu and her band appeared on Garrison Keillor’s award-winning NPR series, A Prairie Home Companion, and brought in the millennium as the only guest artist of the Boston Pops at Symphony Hall. They headline nationwide at concerts, jazz festivals, clubs and jazz parties, on television’s Entertainment Tonight; PBS’s Jazz From New Orleans; Joan Lunden’s Everyday, four times as American Public Radio’s featured vocalist on Riverwalk, Live From The Landing, and at the 2001 Playboy Jazz Festival at the Hollywood Bowl.
Banu toured Europe with the legendary, fiery cornetist Wild Bill Davison, and has continuously performed abroad with the New Orleans Hot Jazz in Germany, England, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and with a contingent of her band in Australia . Other highlights include Dick Hyman’s Jazz in July series New York City. Banu traveled with her pianist/musical director David Boeddinghaus for a week of performances in Vienna including a gala appearance at the Palais Auersperg, and toured Japan as the featured vocalist with The World’s Greatest Jazz Band. Banu is also highlighted in the first chapter of Charles Kuralt’s book Charles Kuralt’s America.
Banu and her band have taken their music to an expanded audience by including performances with symphony orchestras. To date they have performed more than 60 concerts with orchestras, including symphony orchestras in St. Louis, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego, the Boston Pops, and New Orleans, and a three-night concert at the Hollywood Bowl with John Mauceri and the Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra. With an extensive repertoire of songs, Banu’s performances cover many high points of America’s golden age of popular music. Not content to copy the past, Banu Gibson is creative within the boundaries of the genre, consistently inventing fresh and imaginative variations giving new life to timeless, unforgettable music.

Abcde with the best seat in the house

We caught the second half of Tuba Skinny and the first half of Banu Gibson before heading over to the Zydeco Stage
Zydeco Excercise


Cedryl Ballou & the Zydeco Trendsetters 2:00pm Chevron Cajun/Zydeco Showcase
A native of Lake Charles, Louisiana, Cedryl (pronounced “see-DRELL”) Ballou began playing music at the tender age of five, making his professional debut as a drummer with his grandfather, legendary guitar pioneer Classie Ballou, at the age of 11. His future as a frontman was inevitable—both Cedryl’s father, Cedric Ballou, and step-grandfather, “Rockin’ Sidney” Simien, were successful touring musicians, and Cedryl grew up steeped in Creole music and culture.“Being raised in a family of musicians gave me the chance to learn the ropes,” says Ballou, “but also the freedom to try new things. This music is all about people—people change, and the music changes with us. ”A young but seasoned zydeco musician and singer, Ballou shifts easily from drums to accordion and vocals, fronting the Zydeco Trendsetters and touring extensively with regional Zydeco artists, including Andre Thierry, Corey Ledet, Rosie Ledet, Step Rideau and Soul Creole.On Country Roads, Cedryl’s playing is equal parts tradition and innovation. His original songs speak to life in south Louisiana, with an undeniable groove that gets you, and keeps you, on your feet.



This guy was crazy. The music was fun, the band high energy and the lead made the accordion look like a new piece of work out equipment. His arms were huge and he was built like a linebacker. You would have though he was playing an aggressive guitar solo the way he played that accordion. It was truly impressive. It was here at the Cajun/Zydeco stage that we caught up with Jeff and Sue.


Jack Daniels Stage


The Tin Men featuring Jason Jurzak 3:45pm Jack Daniels Stage
The Tin Men combine the unlikely instrumentation of sousaphone, washboard, and guitar to form one of New Orleans’ most original and entertaining groups. Performing since 2002, The Tin men have released Two CDs: 2003’s Super Great Music for Modern Lovers and 2005’s Freaks For Industry and are currently working on a third. Respected performers on their individual instruments, percussionist/vocalist Washboard Chaz, Sousaphonist Matt Perrine and guitarist/vocalist Alex McMurray explore a truly eclectic array of North American Pop music from jug band to swing jazz to New Orleans R&B to Motown to Easy Listening to Heavy Metal and beyond. Through it all they put their own zany spin on the material and make it their own. Throw in a generous dose of McMurray’s own songs, the precocious wit of Perrine’s sousaphone and Washboard Chaz’s seemingly boundless charm and the result is what has been described as “One of the most interesting bands to emerge from New Orleans in years” (Josh Cohen – Offbeat Magazine)



Lots of fun, Abcde got a mustache. Made friends with the guy working the sound board as we borrowed some shade from his tent. He was a great guy, and invited us back anytime for the rest of the fest to get some shade or a breeze from his fan for Abcde if she got over hot.
Abcde has a Mustache



Charmaine Neville 5:20pm Jackson Square Stage
All music is good music,“she says firmly. “I try to cover the whole spectrum and do just everything. I don’t want to be stagnated and stuck in a rut…. People ask, ‘Oh, what category would you put your music in?’ and I say, ‘Good!’” Born into the third generation of the New Orleans legendary musical family, Charmaine has nonetheless worked hard to get where she is and make her music known as her own. The work has paid off – as one reviewer recently wrote, “Charmaine Neville is beginning to rival her father and uncles in terms of popularity in New Orleans.” She started out backing up the Neville Brothers and went on to perform with the Survivors, a band whose alumni list includes Harry Connick Jr. and Bobby McFerrin. It was here that she first started working with saxophonist Reggie Houston.

Them ladies




Met up with Vallery and Joyce here in Jackson Square. They had found their own little shaded piece of heaven and we squeezed in and joined them. It seems that after they had seen a bit of the parade yesterday, they had returned to the hotel room and dyed their hair shades of violet. No longer were we traveling with the blue haired group, now they were representing the color purple. Abcde and I were enjoying the show so much I put her up on my shoulders and we got just about close enough to the stage to give Ms. Neville an Arriba-Cinco, or High-Five. This show was really the highlight of the trip for me. After Charmaine finished the festival staff hustled everyone out of Jackson Square. Caroline and I persuaded Joyce and Vallery to walk with us back to the hotel and try to find some place for dinner on the way. Unfortunately everyone in the Quarter was of a similar thought and not wanting to wait more that 30 minutes for a seating, we ended up walking almost all the way back to the hotel. Just before we reached the hotel we stopped at Daisy Dukes. My burger was tasty (though it came with cheese and I was charged for the cheeseburger not the burger I ordered), Caroline's food was fine, Joyce was pissed that her pancake breakfast (which they serve all day) was a single pancake and seemed cold to her, also was delivered without syrup (I think the server rung up the single pancake for $2.00, not the breakfast for $5.99), and Vallery sent her salad back because the first time it came out the shrimp on her salad had been seasoned (she had specified absolutely no seasoning). Underwhelmed by the accuracy of our server, I tipped at a lower percentage than my usual 20-25%!a(MISSING)nd I don't know what Joyce was charged for or paid for her and Vallery's meal. Vallery volunteered Joyce to watch Abcde if Caroline and I wanted to go out (she was going to take an Ambien). Caroline and I just looked at each other and said we would be fine with her tonight, we were all pretty well beat. Across the street, down one more block and we were back to our room. Bed Time!





Listening to Charmaine Neville

Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb