A taste of the South; New orleans


Advertisement
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
February 3rd 2016
Published: February 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

Aside from the unnecessary stops at awkward times of the night we are really getting into travelling by bus in the US now. Our trip from Nashville to Memphis is probably the most amusing to date. We guess if you are a long distance bus driver you have to keep yourself amused some how. Our driver was no exception. We found ourselves chuckling away as she reeled off one liners with her southern draw... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 21


Advertisement











3rd February 2016

Craw fish and chips - yum!
I loved this blog. Two nights ago we watched an old episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations in New Orleans, and the restaurants were still only at 30-50% to what they used to be pre-Katrina... great to see that it seems to have picked up since then. I have wanted to go to New Orleans for such a long time, but I'm really hoping that the US will have seen the light and adopted the metric system by the time we visit :)
5th February 2016

Haha. I wouldn't rush if you are waiting for US to jump on board with the metric system. Still, worth a visit as it really is a compelling place. We were on a tighter schedual in the US due to an attempt to keep costs down but in hindsight wish we would have allocated more time here. Never seen the episode you mention but would love to see it before our next trip. We always find reading about a place or watching a travel documentary on a destination we are due to visit can be very rewarding. Sometimes even watching/reading it again afterwards! ?
5th February 2016

Riding the dog
Dave and I, -- well maybe just me, has wanted to ride the Greyhound across America. Nawlins' is a town you like or you don't. It can be sensory overload and it sounds like you found the insanity that was intended to excite. Katrina was so poorly handled. Sad and stunning. Nagin, the mayor ended up in prison for 10 years stealing money from the poor people he fought to get the money for---21 counts of wire fraud, bribery, and money laundering. I'm always amazed when these politicians think they won't get caught. Glad you found some music to make your heart sing.
10th February 2016

Riding the dog
Wow never knew this before. It amazes me that he was able to get into a position of power and trust. He sounds like a very manipulative character.

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0696s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb