Hi Y'all from N'Awlins


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
October 24th 2010
Published: October 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Gday

What can we say?

I read in one of the books or brochures that New Orleans is 'an assault on the senses'. I couldn't express it any better myself.

The noise
The colour
The smell
The raunchiness.

We've seen a few places around the world with this sort of reputation, but nothing like this ......

For all of that, its a very fun place to be. The food is cheap, the grog is cheaper, and everyone takes advantage of it. The street theatre is brilliant to boot. So far, it also seems relatively safe - so long as you watch where you go.

Anyway, about the day (and yesterday - being a travel day).

Air travel in the US continues to unimpress. A hassle at the airport, with Laguardia being under facilitized. For all of that, we got here OK so that makes it a good flight!
No probs with the Hotel which is all we had hoped and billiantly located - close to the French Quarter but near enough to be convenient. The included breakky is mofre than adequate.

We continue to be amazed at the quantity of food that you get here - tho the quality of the Southern brand of cooking doesnt really suit someone with Diabetes and remoddelled intestines - nor someone with a dodgy ticker. Way too much fat and spice in Jumbalaya or Gumbo, and most of the seafood - although cheap and plentiful, seems to be cooked in batter to suit the local taste.

Orientation last night and today saw us sleep in then walk the Mississipi (sp?) Riverwalk, then did a swamp tour in an 'AirBoat'. Thats one of those flat punt jobs with a 454 Chevvy motor and a massive airplane type propellor at the back. A lot of fun but very noisy - even with the provided ear muffs. Plenty of Aligators and a few birds but otherwise a bit light on for wildlife. The Bayou / swamps are fascinating.

Anyway, a few pics - but they dont really do justice gto the vibe that exists at this place. One real highlight was a wedding that they were having so much fun that they literally took it on the road - to the applause of the amassed bystanders. This joint rocks.

Enjoy until later.




Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



25th October 2010

norlens
Told dad ud loveeeeeee it. Its such an amazing place, with such brilliant people. The double standard of USA makes me laugh with them not being able to say 'arse' on TV yet the stuff you see in the streets would make hugh hefner almost blush. Make sure when having a few drinks you order a few hurricanes or hand grenades ;) and get one of those amazing face masks
29th October 2010

I am finally back, lots of pics to catch up with. It all looks great, I can't wait to see it on your big screen with a real live commentary. The written stuff paints a good picture though. Continue having a ball. Love, Mer xxxxxxx
29th October 2010

enjoying your trip
Hi Chris and Ian, You might need a holiday after this one. !!! You are covering so much. Veryinteresting and the weather seem to e kinder as well in New Orleans. Here is everything fine. Keep on enjoying. Anna.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb