Wednesday at Camp Premier


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
March 29th 2006
Published: March 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Van Kewl-AidVan Kewl-AidVan Kewl-Aid

Traveling to Louisiana
Hey all - we're all doing well and having a terrific time. Our teams have fully gutted two homes and are starting new ones today. No injuries or ilnnesses yet unless you count some injuries unrelated to work such as Victor's split big toe, a result of playing football in sandals or our most notorious klutz....RAMON...has fell 3 times so far. First he fell face first exiting the van...no blood just a sprained wrist, then later that night when the crewwas playing football on the gravel Ramon dove to catch a ball...a few more scraps and then he fell pushing a wheelbarrell yesterday. However, he keeps getting right back up and singing!

Spencer and I are spending our time at the soup kitchen while others from our group join us periodically during dinner. It's so rewarding! We serve about 200 meals each dinner time and about 150 lunches each day. These people are so grateful for us being there. We serve the residents of the FEMA trailer parks --there are 2 of them right close to us. These small trailers are home to families until they get their homes in order. Literally every home is destroyed in St. Bernard's and
TeesTeesTees

We each have these wonderful tee shirts to work in
has been sitting untouched for months. Imagine leaving your house today and not returning in 7 or 8 months and while you were gone, water reached 14 feet high and electricity is off - it's hard to describe -- you really have to see it with your own eyes to believe it. Refridgerators cannot be opened as a result of the odors and there is mold everywhere. Every one who comes to the soup kitchen is anxious to tell their storyand share their experience.

One woman approached us crying and we asked what was wrong and she cried even harder saying how grateful she was that we were there to feed her and her family. The desperation is evident on each face....it's uncertainty, loss and sorrow but deep in their eyes we can see hope! Most peolpe love St. Bernards and want to rebuild this communuty to be even stronger.

Another man said to us that last week he was close to leaving thisplace totry andjust dissappear because he was so depressed and felt like there was no end to the mess but this week he said for the first time he feels hope because of the kindness of so many volunteers. In our camp alone there are over 700 volunteers and by the end of the week there will be over 1000 here and we are just one of many camps housing volunteers.

The greatest joy for me is seeing how this experience is touching our students and the compassion they have for other human beings! It's amazing --they are all working so hard and they really value this experience -- one which I know they will remember forever! We are also all becoming very close and famiy like! Always a huge plus on these types of journeys!

We are receiving your comments and appreciate them so much! I'll write again later! Amybeth

Advertisement



30th March 2006

Half Way Home!!!
Hi All, Glad to hear that the trip is going GREAT! I'm so excited to hear about all the great stories of this group's teamwork, compassion, and togetherness. A bit concerned about the boo-boo's that happened to Ramon.... (hey Ramon, I hope you don't try to use these 'accidents' to get out of work next week! Just kidding:) Amybeth, I'm so pleased to hear about the great experiences you and Spencer are having in the soup kitchen. I can't wait to see you all! Look forward to hearing from you! Katie P.S. Anyone get Big Easy tattoos???
30th March 2006

YOU GUYS AMAZE ME!
So I'm so proud to know so many of you on the trip, and am proud of everyone's efforts involved on this amazing journey for all of you! You all amaze me and I am so glad to hear that you are touching people's lives, making a difference, getting close as a group, and most importantly, doing good in this world. Keep it up! And continue to have a blast! Glad to hear after all Ramon's falls, he's still singing....do I hear a "My Girl"??? :) Take care, ~Katie Michel
31st March 2006

Soup Kitchen Important
Amybeth--The Soup kitchen sounds like a very important part of this trip. Everyone needs to eat and you are helping make that happen. Keep up the good work.

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1003s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb