New Orleans


Advertisement
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a relatively short, (by US standards), train trip we arrived in a boiling hot and humid New Orleans. We got to our hotel in the quaint French quarter and headed out to find an internet cafe and get some dinner. As soon as we left the cafe, the heavens opened and a massive thunder storm rumbled above us. The storm provided some welcome relief to the humidity, and the rain was refreshing after the heat after the previous few days.
We awoke to clear skies and hot temperatures, and went to carry out our favourite chore - washing! Then we went into town to do a very touristy self-guided walking tour of the French quarter. The first stop was a French coffee shop called Cafe du Monde, where we sampled a New Orleans specialty, a jam free doughnut called beignets. They were very good. From there we headed to the French market, and walked along one of the infamous levees. We went to a very French coffee shop for lunch, it was like being in Paris, except the service was friendly, and staff had strong southern accents! We then went to see some of the historic buildings which were lovely and must be great to live in. The balconies overlooking the narrow bustling streets must be great for people watching. We had a look in an ornate catholic cathedral, which was beautiful, it must have cost people a lot in taxes! We were warned to be on our guard, but we didn't feel uneasy at any point during our stay. The touristy areas at least were fun and easy going. It was pretty busy on a Monday and Tuesday night, so it must be a crazy place to be at the weekend and insane during Mardi Gras! New Orleans is a place we'd consider going back to for a longer stay, with a bit more spare cash!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0305s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1023.8kb