Washington D.C.


Advertisement
Published: August 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

We arrived around midday into a sweltering Washington DC, (even at night it was high 20s and 90%humidity!), and made our way to our hostel via the subway. We couldn't find much in the way of cheap accommodation in DC, (Despite Mr Quantrells hotel recommendation!), so we stayed a little out of the city in a district called Takoma. The hostel was very relaxed, no locks, all windows and doors open, but we encountered no problems so it was all fine! After showering (night on the train) we went to see the mirror pool, Capitol building (complete with roof top snipers, the Pakistani Prime Minister was in town), Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial.
Day two in DC was museum day and the great thing about DC is that the majority of the museums and the zoo are free! The zoo was really good, it had breeding giant pandas! Thankfully we didn't see them breeding but we did see one of their offspring, which is quite a feat for pandas! After the zoo we headed into town and visited the excellent natural history museum, and the space and flight museum (we took lots of photos for you John!). Finally we went to peak at the white house which wasn't all that inspiring. Cat said, "It's just a white building isn't it." I don't think either of us were impressed!
As a footnote it's easy to see why people are huge over here. A hot dog with chilli, cheese, onions etc and a large coke will set you back $2, where as 4 apples will cost you between $4 and $5, crazy. The cost of fresh fruit relative to other food types shocks us every time we shop.

Advertisement



5th August 2008

Guapa!
Hola guapa, soy yo desde Berlin! Acabo de leer el blog porque he estado liada estos días! Te escribo un email pronto para contarte! Cuántos días os quedan? Aprovechadlos y, como siempre, tened cuidado! Besito enorme desde Europa :)
5th August 2008

Guapa!
Hola guapa, soy yo desde Berlin! Acabo de leer el blog porque he estado liada estos días! Te escribo un email pronto para contarte! Cuántos días os quedan? Aprovechadlos y, como siempre, tened cuidado! Besito enorme desde Europa :)

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb