Find a Ruby Slipper


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
January 9th 2024
Published: January 4th 2024
Edit Blog Post

With 20+ locations throughout the South, it might be tempting to brush Ruby Slipper off as a chain — after all, there are plenty of one-of-a-kind restaurants to be found in the Big Easy. Yet, the operating restaurant group, Ruby Sunshine, knows how to maintain local flavor and quality across all of its locations. While each brings its own unique flair, decor, and overall vibe, every slipper has one thing in common: Top-tasting brunch food.

The menu is a hodgepodge of Southern favorites with funky, elevated twists. Take, for example, the pig candy bacon bites starter, consisting of Applewood-smoked bacon bites with a mouthwateringly crunchy, caramelized candy glaze. Eggs Benny are a specialty — Ruby Slipper offers quite a few varieties. The eggs cochon, a Southern twist on eggs Benedict in which slow-cooked braised pork is swapped out for traditional Canadian bacon, acts as a standout item. Craving something sweeter? The berry Chantilly pancakes and seasonal stuffed French toast are sure to impress.
And then there is world famous Antoine's:
It's hard to talk about NOLA's best restaurants without mentioning Antoine's. Established in 1840, it's one of the country's oldest restaurants, and anyone who's had the pleasure of eating there in the past 180+ years will happily tell you why it's still in business. The fine dining establishment is best known for dinner but also serves both regular and jazz brunch, the primary difference being the presence of a live band.

Brunch at Antoine's starts with a French pastry basket, but don't fill up on the sweet and savory baked goods — you'll want to save room for one of Antoine's generously portioned entrees. Main courses include everything from favorites like eggs sardou and grillades and grits to meatier plates like Pompano Pontchartrain (a pompano filet with jumbo lump crab meat, white wine reduction, and onion rice) and the vegan champignon bourguignon. Not to mention ... bottomless mimosas are only $18. You're welcome.
Personally, I think CP is overrated:
Commander's Palace, housed in a dreamy blue and white-striped structure in the Garden District, is home to some of the absolute best authentic NOLA cuisine the Crescent City offers. The historic restaurant has been slinging up Cajun and Creole-tinged dishes since 1893 and has offered a jazz brunch complete with live band for years.

CP's jazz brunch may not be the most traditional brunch regarding the food. (Unless, of course, you usually dream of turtle soup and pecan-crusted fish when the subject of brunch foods comes up.) Yet, the chance to sip an Irish coffee and enjoy world-class Creole cuisine while getting your live jazz fix is a one-of-a-kind experience. That said, there are plenty of breakfast-forward items on the special menu, including Eggs Lafayette #1 (poached eggs cooked with a tomato and onion piperade, crispy peppers, and hollandaise) or the Commander's Palace take on eggs cochon.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb