New Orleans


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » New Orleans
April 25th 2023
Published: May 8th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Mardi Gras PropMardi Gras PropMardi Gras Prop

The Mardi Gras World warehouse was filled with so many props and floats. This one shows the traditional colors of Mardi Gras- purple, green, and gold.
We stayed at Sun Outdoors RV Resort in Ponchatoula, LA as our home base to explore New Orleans. The resort has many amenities-pickleball courts, 18 hole Put-Put course, pool, and lazy river to name a few. We did not head into the French Quarter, as most people do when in New Orleans. We went to Mardi Gras World to get an up-close look at some of the floats and props used in New Orleans parades. Loved the tour and seeing the production side of this part of New Orleans. Then we took a 2-hour walking tour of the Garden District. Our guide, Sean, was very knowledgeable about the area and some of the residents-past and present of the homes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Sculpted.Sculpted.
Sculpted.

This is an example of a prop sculped out of Styrofoam. Next it gets covered in strips of brown paper. Then paper mache and painted.
Robot PixieRobot Pixie
Robot Pixie

This robot is used to sculpt 3D props. The process creates a lot of Styrofoam waste. It used to be sold to a company that used it to stuff bean bag chairs, but that company no longer exists. They are working on coming up with a way to recycle it themselves in the future.
Mardi Gras WorldMardi Gras World
Mardi Gras World

The props were lined up several rows deep in the warehouse. Fun to get up close to them and examine the workmanship.
King KongKing Kong
King Kong

King Kong is one of the props of Krewe Bacchus, along with Mrs. Kong and Baby Kong. People try to throw beads on their heads. This original paper mâché props have been retired as new fiberglass versions have been put into use.
Burger and FriesBurger and Fries
Burger and Fries

Mike liked these props-two of his favorite foods!
Mardi Gras World GenieMardi Gras World Genie
Mardi Gras World Genie

The company has made props for reasons other than New Orleans parades. Recognize this guy? No lamp, so no wishes granted.
ScaryScary
Scary

Not all props are pretty. You can see this one will need some repair done by the nose as it is cracked.
JesterJester
Jester

Getting to "try on" a Mardi Gras costume. So colorful!
PegasusPegasus
Pegasus

Beautiful details on this prop.
Mardi Gras World FloatsMardi Gras World Floats
Mardi Gras World Floats

These three floats would be connected for the parade. There can be up to six connected together, pulled by one tractor.
Garden District of New OrleansGarden District of New Orleans
Garden District of New Orleans

This area has beautiful homes and gardens. We enjoyed a 2-hour walking tour through part of the neighborhood.
Lafayette No. 1 CemeteryLafayette No. 1 Cemetery
Lafayette No. 1 Cemetery

Currently not open to the public as the neighbors complained about the increased tourist traffic in the area. So different from cemeteries in the Midwest.
Dan GoodmanDan Goodman
Dan Goodman

This home is currently owned by Dan Goodman. He is loved by the locals as he seems to be engaged in the community.
Large mansionLarge mansion
Large mansion

This mansion still rests on about 1/4 of the city block. Currently being renovated.
Carriage HouseCarriage House
Carriage House

Few of the mansions still have their carriage house. I could live there!
Archie ManningArchie Manning
Archie Manning

This is the front yard of Archie Manning's house where he taught Eli and Payton to throw a football.


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0252s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb