Day 3 - Big Change in Plans, Awesome Tour of War Ship & Long/Sleepy Drive Home.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Louisiana » Lake Charles
February 17th 2017
Published: February 20th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


The big change in plans? I decided I really wanted to be home on Saturday morning. So we made sure it was cool with the hotel to check out early . Packed up to head out. Breakfast of pastries & OJ again.

Headed south and decided to scrap outdoor stuff as it was pouring rain. Found the USS Orleck but wasn't open just yet. We took the opportunity to gas up and stuff. Back at 10am opening. I want to tell you we loved our tour of the Orleck but it is in rough shape. Our tour guide a volunteer named Steve was awesome and no big deal that I asked so many questions and he answered each one best he could. The Orleck has a long history ending with the Turkish Navy - so if you see some strange language that's it. It has been in this spot for 6 years temporarily and if they do not find a buyer soon they may need to scrap it. They do have a company in talks that would buy it and finish renovations and move it near the Isle of Capri Casino.

We had a fantastic time and ended up being there about 2 hours.

http://orleck.org/ - $10 each with child, senior, military discounts also. As the ship is now wear good non slip shoes and go on a cooler day.

Decided we were hungry and ready to gamble a bit before headed home. We went to the Isle of Capri

Isle of Capri was so much fun. Friendly folks and best Isle of Capri we have ever been too. Walked out with what I walked in with and played couple hours. Still didn't eat.

I really wanted to go to L'auberge Casino as I heard it was a beautiful property. I promised David first thing some grub. It is a beautiful property. We ate Jack Daniel's Bar & Grill. Delicious food & great service.

After a quick run through the casino then we needed to head home. I forgot one of my travel rules - go to the restroom when you know you somewhere it's going to be clean. Casinos are known for clean. Went down the road, raining again, gas up. Boom got to go ... no arguing with my bladder. Got to go. No please this is not a nice gas station - it's half liquor store, the bathroom is men/women. Oh gross this is going to be bad. It was. I not only flushed with my foot, I hiked myself up and opened the door with it. Got outside and sanitized up to elbows. Yuck!


Additional photos below
Photos: 126, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Cooks & Bakers QuartersCooks & Bakers Quarters
Cooks & Bakers Quarters

Room for 6 men. They had more storage space for more equipment. Even space for a table.
Captains Stateroom Captains Stateroom
Captains Stateroom

This would be the captain's quarters when in port.
Wardroom Pantry Wardroom Pantry
Wardroom Pantry

Each of the officers could order up coffee or whatever from here via a special intercom system. The crew here served them.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 33; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb