Visir to Abe's Birthplace


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky
October 30th 2009
Published: November 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Oct 30,31 Nov1


“Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.” - Seneca



October 30, 2009, Friday We left Berea and drove west to Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site. This is our first Civil War Site visit on this Historic Tour. The day was bright and breezy, but the history of this place is dark and sad. After viewing the video we walked the battlefield.
This is “Lincoln Country” Abe’s birthplace and where he grew up. There is also s fine Lincoln Museum in Hodgenville. Distances back in the U. S. are long, we got spoiled in Europe with things a few kilometers down the road.
Our last stop is Mammoth National Park, KY. We found a campground right in the park, not electricity or showers, but we are really self-sufficient. The sky opened up and it rained all night, nice and cozy… we thought of the tent campers outside our door. Hope they stayed dry.

October 31, 2009,Saturday. We decided on the Historic Tour at Mammoth and arrived bright and early at the Info Center. This area of Kentucky is in the Central Time Zone, oops, so we are early, early. We did connect with our tour guide and were warned that this two-hour hike is not an easy one… it involves many steps and uneven walkways, etc. Mammoth Cave is the largest in the world! It is a dry cave and does not have much in the way of stalactites and stalagmites, but because it is dry, there have been many artifacts found from prehistoric people. The cave served as a mine for saltpeter, key to the manufacture of gunpowder. We crossed the Bottomless Pit and squeezed through Fat Man’s Misery.
Well, we are off to Clarksburg, TN, for Trick or Treat. Tonight Day Light Savings Time kicks in, so our body clock will really be off with two time changes in one day.




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0416s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb