All about Abe! 48 miles, 2800feet


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky
June 5th 2018
Published: June 6th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Lincoln’s birthplace memorial Lincoln’s birthplace memorial Lincoln’s birthplace memorial

This is much smaller than the Lincoln Memorial erected in Washington DC. It is sitting on the spot where Abe Lincoln was born. Inside the memorial is a replica of the cabin where he was born. He lived here until age two.
Today was a spectacular day for a bike ride; temperature in the 70’s, low humidity and calm winds.

The pedaling was effortless as I made my way south toward Abraham Lincoln’s boyhood home followed by his birthplace.

The change in scenery is dramatically different than that of Eastern Kentucky. Today I have been in corn country. It seemed more like Iowa than the endless hills I saw earlier.

The real goal today was to see Abe Lincoln’s boyhood home, and his birthplace.

First I stopped at Abe’s boyhood home in Knob Creek. He lived there from age two to age seven. I learned that Abe’s dad Thomas moved several times in his early years because of land disputes.

One would think that in the very early 1800’s that would not be a problem, but indeed it was. In fact, Thomas and Nancy Hanks Lincoln, had to leave both early homes after losing the right to stay there in court. They left the Knob Creek home and moved to Pigeon Creek Indiana and later Illinois.

One wonders if one of the reasons Abe became a lawyer was to help resolve disputes such as those land disputes
This is a depiction of the cabin where Abe grew up.This is a depiction of the cabin where Abe grew up.This is a depiction of the cabin where Abe grew up.

This reconstructed cabin is sitting on the spot where Abe Lincoln lived from age two to age seven. This is referred to as the Knob Creek home. It is about ten miles north of the birthplace.
involving his parents.( Pure speculation on my part.)

I left the Knob Creek home and pedaled south to Harrodsburg where the Lincoln Museum is.

One could have spent much more time than I had learning details on each phase of his life.

A mere three more miles down the road I arrived at the birthplace Memorial. (The birthplace home and Knob Creek Home were about ten miles apart.)

The grounds are quite beautiful and there is a small replica of the Washington DC Lincoln Memorial erected on the spot where he was born. There is also a running spring there which is much the same as it was in 1809 when Abe was born.

Quite honestly, I would have preferred to see the actual unspoiled grounds with a replica of the home.

If one had to choose, I would recommend the boyhood home at Knob Creek. It was left just as it was when Abe played in the medows and one can hike the unspoiled grounds at their leisure.

Surprisingly, Knob Creek was deserted and the birthplace memorial was somewhat crowded.

Finally after leaving Abe’s early history behind, I pedaled another twenty miles to the White Mills Volunteer Fire Department where I will spend the night.

Tomorrow I expect to spend another glorious day riding west toward Rough River Dam.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

The property behind Lincoln’s Knob Creek home.The property behind Lincoln’s Knob Creek home.
The property behind Lincoln’s Knob Creek home.

This is the land where Lincoln recalled helping his parents plant and harvest their garden. It is really a beautiful spot. There were apparently nine family’s nearby.
Deserted Roadhouse next to the Knob Creek cabin.Deserted Roadhouse next to the Knob Creek cabin.
Deserted Roadhouse next to the Knob Creek cabin.

At one time there was a restaurant and bar in this building. It is all closed up now.
Inside the Lincoln Museum in Hodgenville, KYInside the Lincoln Museum in Hodgenville, KY
Inside the Lincoln Museum in Hodgenville, KY

Very extensive history of the Lincoln years.
A replica of the Lincoln birthplace home.A replica of the Lincoln birthplace home.
A replica of the Lincoln birthplace home.

This is inside the Memorial erected where Lincoln was born.
This is my Hotel tonight.This is my Hotel tonight.
This is my Hotel tonight.

Shortly after I arrived, the fire department mobilized. Three vehicles left within one hour of my arrival. They returned from putting out a small brush fire an hour later.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0332s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb