Bats, birds and wheels.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Louisville
October 8th 2008
Published: October 15th 2008
Edit Blog Post

The 1,000,000th made.The 1,000,000th made.The 1,000,000th made.

Available in white with red interior. Only.
We’re on our way to Tennessee. We spent the past three days in Louisville, and even with the things we’ve seen here, I have a fear that we’ve missed places where we should have stopped…there’s so much history in this part of the country, and so many spots that I taught about in Social Studies. But we can’t stop at every place. (did that sound like Bob’s voice?!)

Anyway, here are some random thoughts: southern Michigan and Indiana grow mums, and ship them nationwide. My point is, there are so many thousands of mum plants everywhere. The plants are huge~~I’d have trouble getting my arms around the tops~~and sell for around $3.00. Sometimes they’re $5, but usually less. Businesses (hotels, offices, “unique gift stores”, etc.) will have two dozen stacked up in the front. It’s awesome!

One more thing about driving through little towns is to see who’s running for office! Every town is covered by political signs, and most people want to share who they believe in. Mostly I look to see who they’re backing for President, and kind of judge them from that. But it is interesting. And the billboards show that everyone has the answers for
The white one in the rear is  one of the first ones made.The white one in the rear is  one of the first ones made.The white one in the rear is one of the first ones made.

The year they began producing Corvettes, you had the choice of white with red interior. Only. The black one is a Stingray with a split rear window. They produced very few of those, because they were afraid the split window hampered visibility...like you could see anything out the rear window at 160 mph!
our problems!

The little towns continue having festivals~~lots of Octoberfests, many apple festivals (even if there’s not an apple tree in sight!) and one town is advertising the 2008 World’s Chicken Festival. All those chickens in one little community. Suppose they have a Chicken Queen? I’m sure they have a parade. What do they serve…chicken feed, or fried chicken? And as fate would have it, it’s on a weekend we will be on project!! I mean, how many towns could be vying for that title? World’s Chicken Festival…..

I think we’re out of the Amish country, but now that we’re in Tennessee, where the horses are the crop of choice, it reminds me of something I read about the Amish. They raise and train their own draft horses, but they purchase their driving horses from trainers in this area. The article was making the connection between the people of the simple life dealing with the rich for their horses. When we saw the driving horses pulling at the buggies at full speed, it was a striking sight, that’s for sure. We also read that Lexington is the horse capital of the world. I don’t know if that’s self-proclaimed,
If it looks like he's sitting on the steering wheel, If it looks like he's sitting on the steering wheel, If it looks like he's sitting on the steering wheel,

it's because he is! Bob and I stopped for breakfast, and the door was open for a couple minutes while Bob checked the Jeep connection and before I went out. When we came back, here was this little guy inside...he must have come in before we left. He had a friend sitting on the mirror outside trying to talk him into coming out to play, and there was another one on the bushes by the side window. I went behind him and shooed him out, and he was as happy to leave as I was to have him go, although he left a gift on the dashboard!
or has been verified, but I thought I’d pass it along in case it comes up in a conversation!

I wasn’t prepared for the beauty of the trees in this area. The colors are indescribably vivid…the reds, oranges, golds that seem to glow. And the land went from rolling hills of black soil to rocks that look like they’d been formed and cut, to hills full of coal. We would go around a curve, or over a hill and I thought it was the most stunning sight, and then it would get better.

Tonight we’re staying in Knoxville (Bill Martin is running for Auditor). We’re going to have the bus serviced tomorrow, and then will arrive at Newport, TN, for our October project.

(I'm really late posting this because this site has been down. I'll get another one on very soon to let you know about this project.)





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Big bat, little bat...Big bat, little bat...
Big bat, little bat...

This is outside the Louisville Slugger Factory.
Whole lot of bat!Whole lot of bat!
Whole lot of bat!

this is taken from half a block away. It's a very interesting tour, and I'm not even a big baseball fan.
One of the boats that gives river tours.One of the boats that gives river tours.
One of the boats that gives river tours.

We're sitting along the Ohio River, in Louisville. Notice the semi truck on the bridge above the boat.
They are ducking out!They are ducking out!
They are ducking out!

These guys were just hanging around all along the shore, which is not sand, it's a concrete sidewalk. Along came the cleaning guy with a big blower to clean the sidewalk, and boy did the ducks hit head out of there quickly!
It isn't smoke,It isn't smoke,
It isn't smoke,

it's just morning fog burning off. The hillsides were like a decoration.
Soy beans ready to harvest.Soy beans ready to harvest.
Soy beans ready to harvest.

They are as dry and dusty as they look!


Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0223s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb