Horse Capital of the World


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kentucky » Lexington
October 21st 2010
Published: October 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone!!

Yesterday morning in DC we hit up a few museums; The National Geographic Museum and the Holocaust Museum. The National Geographic Museum was alright, they just had a couple exhibits (the Gecko exhibit was the biggest). Getting to the National Geographic was sort of a hike, but it gave us a chance to see a different part of the city that we weren’t staying in. The Holocaust Museum was the one that we really wanted to go to and it was amazing… it was four floors - you take an elevator up to the top and work your way down (i'm so bummed because pictures weren't allowed) it was intense and emotional, I feel like we could have spent a few hours in there but we were trying to get on the road at a decent hour. The drive from DC to Lexington was so curvy! We were actually getting sort of dizzy! The day was so gorgeous though, as well as the scenery as we left Maryland and got into West Virginia/Kentucky. Pretty foliage and foothills…actually we drove right through one of the foothills that had been blown through. We arrived in Lexington, KY (THE HORSE CAPITAL OF THE WORLD!!!) at around 8:30, grabbed a bite to eat at the hotel restaurant and pretty much crashed after that 9 hour drive! Got up early to grab some breakfast - we drove into downtown Lexington to try and find a place but we didn’t find a good one so we headed back to the hotel across the street to the Waffle House. It was our first Waffle House experience and it ended up being pretty delicious  The people here are SO friendly! We haven’t seen any horses so far though, only horse statues in the middle of downtown. Next stop for us is St. Louis - we will be traveling through our first time zone!! Also, we hit 1,000 miles on the way to Lexington last night, which means only 2,000 more to go!! So proud of us.
-Jenn



Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0519s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb