Packing & Pictures


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Overland Park
September 17th 2007
Published: September 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

guest roomguest roomguest room

Warning - do not enter!
Just a quick note to share some photos. My guest room has become a disaster zone but the upside is that I've got most of my items packed. I highly recommend the folding/packing things - don't know what they are called but I'll include a photo for you.

I had two wonderful going away parties this weekend. Thanks to my family and friends for making my last weekend so much fun. You guys are the best!

Here's some background info on Tanzania and Moshi...

Tanzania, officially the United Republic of Tanzania, is the southern most country in East Africa. Its mainland borders Mozambique, Malawi, and Zambia in the south; Congo (Kinshasa), Burundi, and Rwanda on the west; Uganda and Kenya in the north; and the Indian Ocean in the east. Lake Nyasa forms part of the southern boundary, Lake Tanganyika, the western boundary, whilst Lake Victoria part of the northern boundary.

Tanzania’s is able to offer a multitude of attractions to visitors. Tanzania is a land of amazing beauty and home to some of Africa's greatest sights including Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest mountain in Africa, and its largest lake and second largest fresh water body in the
Best thing everBest thing everBest thing ever

Packing whatchamacallits
world, Lake Victoria shared with neighboring countries Uganda and Kenya. National Parks, teeming with wildlife and bush, count for a quarter of the country's land and supports an estimate of 20% of Africa’s large mammal population. Ngorongoro Crater is the world’s largest intact volcanic caldera. Added to this are less well known but equally beautiful landmarks such as Lake Tanganyika, the 2nd deepest lake in the world, Mount Meru, the 5th highest mountain in Africa and Oldoinyo Lengai (the Maasai’s Mountain of God) which is still an active volcano. Not to mention the splendor of the coastal areas such as the ‘Spice Island’ of Zanzibar, Kilwa and Bagamoyo, all of which are a historian’s dream.

Tanzania is also among the least urbanized countries in Sub-Saharan Africa with a population of 36 million people. It is politically stable and one of the safest countries in Africa.

Historically Moshi was the capital of an area ruled by Rindi, the great 19th century Chagga chief who became one of the most important chiefs in the area due to his diplomatic skills. Allying with the Maasai, he exhorted large taxes from passing caravans. When the first German colonial troops arrived at Kilimanjaro
MapMapMap

Here's a map of Africa so you can see where Tanzania is. I'll be on the northern border with Kenya, right at the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro in a town called Moshi.
in 1891, Rindi assured them he ruled the whole area and convinced them to unite with him against his rival, Sina of Kibosho, signing away his territories rather than succumb to an undignified defeat. Both the powerful Rindi and Sina were hanged a few years later. Moshi became an important colonial centre of administration for the Germans, and later the English. The original Moshi - Old Moshi - is higher up the mountain and until the railway line reached the present day Moshi in 1911 and a station built, the headquarters of the German administrative district of Moshi was in Old Moshi.

Although the town of Moshi itself is home to a range of different people, the Kilimanjaro region is predominantly made up of the Chagga, who reside on the slopes of Kilimanjaro and the Pare whose home is the Pare Mountains. The fertile volcanic soil and reliable rainfall on the slopes of Kilimanjaro has probably always been a draw for human settlement. The Chagga are Bantu-speaking agriculturalists whose ancestors probably arrived in the area in the 15th century. The Chagga had no tradition of central leadership. Up to 100 small chiefdoms existed in the mid 19th century. Their efficient and industrious farming skills meant that they have always produced a food surplus and subsequently have a history of trading with the Maasai and other local groups, and later with Arab caravans. Chaggas remain self sufficient for basic foodstuffs and today the mountain is scattered with family smallholdings that produce a variety of subsistence crops. The major cash crop is coffee, which was introduced during the colonial era and has been grown by small scale farmers who sell through a co-operative. The main agricultural activity is still coffee and some of the finest Arabica in Tanzania comes from the slopes of Kilimanjaro. Coffee growing is the livelihood of thousands of people.

The Chaggas have a reputation for industriousness, and today many of Tanzania’s political and business leaders hail from the tribe.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0388s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb