07 Harleys at MDA Camp


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Linwood
June 12th 2007
Published: September 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Logan a CamperLogan a CamperLogan a Camper

Logan trying out my Mustang seat for fit
For the 3rd year the OZ HOG Chapter of Topeka, KS spearheaded a ride to the Muscular Dystrophy Association summer camp at Tall Oaks Conference Center located near Linwood, KS., and OZ once again asked the Central Midwest HOG Chapter to join them. It is Tuesday and while the campers are discovering Italy, 26 kid friendly Harley Davidson motorcycles came to camp to join in the fun. The camp theme this year is traveling aboard a cruise ship. The campers discover a different country every day. Monday was Australia, Tuesday is Italy, Wednesday is going to be Japan, Thursday is to be Spain, the destination for Friday seemed vague. When you are that young, Friday is just too far off to worry about.

The evening started with a ride to Linwood. The two HOG groups always meet at the Linwood Centrex gas station around 6 PM, have a riders safety meeting and then proceed to camp. Usually a couple Kansas Highway Patrol motorcycle officers provide escort but this year a KHP car is our escort. I was asked by the 2 chapter directors to lead the combined HOG group into camp. When the front tire of my Sporty contacted the
A Camp staff memberA Camp staff memberA Camp staff member

Luigi After a Long Day
pavement where the campers and staff had assembled, loud cheers and applause erupted from the gathered crowd. It hit the bikers like an ocean wave. What a small thing we do here for these kids that have so many obstacles in their life everyday, the fact that they were applauding us, made me tear up. These kids deserve the cheers, for having that ear to ear smile still on their face at the end of their day. This evening just as in previous years the campers are encouraged to get on any bike they choose, they start them, honk the horn, rev the engine or just enjoy being in the driver’s seat. The campers and the bikers look forward to this evening we share each year. The evening at MDA camp is one of those events that if you do it once you are hooked.

Each year I have enjoyed sharing my bike and discussing camp activities with the kids. Usually there is at least one or two female staff members that will come around and ask about bikes as they are considering getting one. The discussions are always done with a background of revving bikes, honking horns, combined with sirens and loudspeakers from the KHP vehicles as campers take full advantage of the permission given to push switches and explore. But the personal highlight of this year was young Logan, who just wanted to sit on my bike, play with the satellite radio buttons and answer my 2 million questions about summer camp. What a great kid.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.443s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.2262s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb