Locks and more locks


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Iowa
August 29th 2015
Published: August 29th 2015
Edit Blog Post

August 27 ,2015



We are making good time.

We started out in a gentle mist rising off the water only to be engulfed by a dense fog. We couldn't see much past the bow rail. The only good thing is we were the only fools out there so no fear of hitting anyone. The sun came out after an hour and the wind picked up giving us a light chop on the water.

Traffic was quite light as far as tows go, we sailed right through 5 locks. We even floated in two of the chambers since we were the only ones locking through, never did that before. You just hover in the middle with no lines to hold you against the wall. We have 8 locks behind us and 17 to go until the we get to the Illinois River. We are waiting at a lock now as I write this blog, no reception last night or now so I will have to post later.

We are loving this part of the river, we are travelling through forested rocky cliffs and rolling hills. The shoreline is sand as is the bottom so a nice clean anchor in the morning. There are houseboats with bows on the shoreline anchored everywhere.The trees in the hills look like broccoli they are tight together and almost all deciduous. What a great place to boat, fish and swim. The water is murky brown with some floating algae and weeds but still good for swimming. A little cool for us though.There are islands to tuck behind. We just pull off the channel at night, drop the hook and the boat stays pointed into the current with little movement or slapping. Good for sleeping, other than the bright lights of the tows at night.

We have travelled 153 miles in total so we are pleased with our progress.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0206s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb