Change of Plans


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Iowa » Davenport
August 15th 2014
Published: July 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.5383, -90.5764

Today, we are two days from home. We've traveled from Sioux Falls to Davenport. We had planned to stop at the Iowa State Fair but the weather was crappy so I researched things to do in Omaha and found the zoo. Now, normally we don't do zoos unless they are unique. This one seemed unique and didn't disappoint. They have a Desert Dome indoor with a desert exhibit and a nocturnal animals cave and swamp exhibit below the desert. Super cool. We ate at the cafe which overlooked their rainforest exhibit. It took us an hour and a half to go through the first exhibit. After lunch we went through the indoor rainforest exhibit which was amazing. It took us about 45 minutes to do the upper level of the rainforest but Matthew wasn't feeling well. We had been there over three hours anyway and had to hit the road again because we had another 5 hours to go. You could spend two days in that zoo. They have an aquarium, butterfly house, a stingray beach and so much more. A worthwhile zoo trip if you are passing through.

We hit the road for our dinner spot in Iowa City. We want to see the U of I campus and hopefully find a place to eat. We were pleasantly surprised by the town. They had a great restaurant area and was quite lively on this Friday night. We ate at a rice and noodle restaurant called Z'Mariks. It was yummy. I had a chicken and veggie teriyaki bowl. Ended up being a nice evening in Iowa City/ U of I campus.

Now we are in the Davenport area at our last Marriott. It might be the last one not to be remodeled but still home away from home. We didn't even bring our backpacks in because its 1000 PM and we are done dragging them in and out. We hit the road for home tomorrow. Since we dropped a day in Rapid City and got some miles under our belt, we will be home a day early. I always like to have an extra day before the week begins. School starts next week. Summer is ending. Sad. What a great summer. We take the good and the bad and count our blessings. We also share our blessings. Extra prayers and blessings to those so tragically affected by the floods of 2014. The pictures are staggering. We were shocked.

On that note, Good night.

.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Swamp ExhibitSwamp Exhibit
Swamp Exhibit

No that's not a swamp monster attacking the kids


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb