John Deere Green and Lots, Lots More - Davenport IA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Iowa » Davenport
October 4th 2016
Published: October 25th 2016
Edit Blog Post

A Very Nice RV ParkA Very Nice RV ParkA Very Nice RV Park

Clarks Ferry Campground - Montpelier IA
As it was while travelling from Rockton IL to Dubuque IA, my drive from Mud Lake Park in Dubuque to Clarks Ferry Campground near Davenport IA was in the raindrops – not heavy rain, but heavy enough to use the intermittent mode on my windshield wipers for most of the drive. Clarks Ferry is a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers facility located on the western bank of the Mississippi River and was the site of a ferry that operated between the Iowa and Illinois shores in the early 1800's. The facility is actually located in Montpelier IA, about 6-8 miles south of Davenport.

Jumping ahead a bit, the weather I had during my two-week stay was pleasant for the most part, but the weather in the northern Great Plains, particularly before but also during this period, was anything but pleasant. The Mississippi and its tributaries appeared more swollen than what I had encountered about 75 miles to the north during the previous two weeks; and the reports I heard were that there was significant flooding in some northern communities, that the ground was saturated and could hold no more rainfall and that flooding downstream was expected. My campsite was, quite
The Mississippi Crested The Saturday Before My DepartureThe Mississippi Crested The Saturday Before My DepartureThe Mississippi Crested The Saturday Before My Departure

Clarks Ferry Campground - Montpelier IA
literally, a stone’s throw from the river and severe flooding might necessitate the activation of Plan B. How many of you have “move the house” as part of your Plan B? The river did rise and impinged the campground, indeed, covering some of the riverside sites and the road servicing those sites, but never threatened the Pilgrim and never came close to Plan B activation.

On a schoolless Saturday, September 24, 2016, I had a half dozen reasons to make a trip north on the Iowa side of the Mississippi River. The first three were in Le Claire IA, and the first two were the Buffalo Bill Museum and the Steam-Powered Towboat Lone Star, both under the same ticketing umbrella and both at the same location. William Frederick "Buffalo Bill" Cody (1846-1917) was an American scout, bison hunter and showman who was born in Le Claire but lived for several years in his father's hometown in Canada and in the Kansas Territory before he was inducted into the workforce, after his father's death, at the age of eleven.

Buffalo Bill became a rider for the Pony Express at age 14 and served the Union Army during the Civil War. He later served as a civilian scout for
Most Of The Linkage To Cody Is Through PhotographsMost Of The Linkage To Cody Is Through PhotographsMost Of The Linkage To Cody Is Through Photographs

Buffalo Bill Museum - Le Claire IA
the U.S. Army during the Indian Wars and received the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1872 – something Uncle Larry did not know. One of the most colorful figures of the Old West, Buffalo Bill started performing in shows that portrayed cowboy themes from the frontier days and the Indian Wars and then founded his own troupe in 1883, Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. His large company toured the United States and, beginning in 1887, Great Britain and mainland Europe. The Buffalo Bill Cody wing of the museum chronicles the life of this flamboyant Le Claire native. Pictures, posters and artifacts humanize this colorful, multi-faceted character who was a legend to 1950s-era little boys like, ummm, me.

But, my friends, thinking that the Buffalo Bill Museum is only about Buffalo Bill would be a serious mistake. It is also a well done local history museum. I found the James J. Ryan exhibit particularly interesting. Ryan, a Le Claire native, was an inventor and a professor of mechanical engineering at (mostly) the University of Minnesota. He is most noted for his 1953 invention and patent of the “Ryan Flight Data Recorder” or the “Black Box” (which actually is orange) which withstood 2000 degree temperatures and impacts of 100G. I don’t know how modern recorders compare. Ryan also invented the retractable safety seat belt used in today’s automobiles.

Another inventor with ties to Le Claire is James Buchanan Eads (1820 -1887). Eads was in the marine salvage business, invented improvements to the diving bell and its support vessels and had amassed his wealth and notoriety from those innovations. In 1861, after the outbreak of the Civil War, Eads was called to Washington to consult on the defense of the Mississippi River. Soon afterward, he was contracted to construct the City-class ironclads for the United States Navy and produced seven such ships in a five-month period – Saint Louis, Cairo, Carondelet, Cincinnati, Louisville, Mound City and Pittsburgh. He also converted the river steamer New Era into the ironclad Essex. His wealth allowed him to proceed with additional construction without having to wait for payment for work completed. By the end of the war he had built more than 30 river ironclads. Indeed, Eads’ last built ironclads were so hardy that the Navy sent them into service in the Gulf of Mexico, where they supported the successful Federal attack on the Confederate port city of Mobile AL. All senior officers in the Western Theater, including Grant and Sherman, agreed that Eads and his vessels had been vital to early victory in the West. Some might remember that I visited the USS Cairo Museum adjacent to the Vicksburg National Cemetery in August 2013 – “Vicksburg - The Siege City and the Surrounding Area.”

Outside, or should I say in a V-E-R-Y large annex, the steam-powered towboat Lone Star is on display. Lone Star is a wooden hull, steam-powered, stern-wheeled towboat that, built in 1868, is the oldest of three surviving steam-powered towboats, and the only one with a wooden hull. She was taken out of service in April 1968 and was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1989. Numerous placards explain the equipment and the operation of the vessel. Additional displays can be found on the port and starboard (har har, matey) sides of the attraction – a display of various knots, clam-digging equipment and the pearl button industry, log rafts (which the Lone Star pushed to the desired downstream location) and ice harvesting equipment help chronical the evolution of Le Claire. Non-maritime placards note some famous Iowans, including John Wayne, Wyatt Earp, Leon "Bix" Beiderbecke and Herbert Hoover. All said, the two museums made a very nice
The Nash Statesman SuperThe Nash Statesman SuperThe Nash Statesman Super

Antique Archaeology - Le Claire IA
stop.

Well, I’m already here so I might as well stop at Antique Archaeology, also in Le Claire. “American Pickers” is one of a handful of television shows I enjoy on a regular basis – not so much of late since my satellite dish went on the fritz in late April and I just plain haven’t bothered to get it fixed yet. Actually, I don’t plan any action until I return to Phoenix metro but must admit the NASCAR Chase, the NFL and THE CUBS IN THE POST-SEASON has me missing the boob tube a bit. Back to Le Claire. I visited the Antique Archaeology store in Nashville in September 2013, “A Week of Honky-Tonk in Nashville TN Barely Scratches the Surface,” and found them to be quite similar, ya spoze???. I spotted some artifacts I had seen the persistent pickers procure, such as the Laurel and Hardy heads, the Mr. Peanut peanut roaster and the bellhop used in Philip Morris cigarettes advertising campaigns, and got to see the shell of the signature Nash Statesman Super perfectly placed prominently in front of the store. There are many other very unique items on display, many tagged NFS (not for sale). If you’re a TV junkie or happen to be in town, it’s worth a stop.

A ten-minute drive north of Le Claire brought me to the Buffalo Bill Cody Homestead in Princeton IA. In review, Buffalo Bill Cody was born in Le Claire but lived in Canada for several years and in the Kansas Territory before he became a Pony Express rider at the ripe old age of 14. Now, boys and girls, “How much of Cody’s life was spent in Princeton, or Le Claire for that matter?” I suppose the more important issue is that he did live here and that the 1847 native limestone farmhouse, which was entered in the National Registry of Historic Places, was built by Isaac Cody, Buffalo Bill's father. The interesting homestead has been restored and is chock full of mostly commonplace artifacts typical of mid-19th century domiciles. There are several interesting Cody family photographs, which probably are the highlight of the artifacts in the attraction. It’s a worthwhile stop if you are in the neighborhood.

The Clinton Sawmill Museum in Clinton IA – I’m not sure what I was expecting, but what I got was not what I was expecting. The museum is housed in a modern, well lit, spacious building and has numerous placards explaining the logging industry and photographs that help tell the stories of harvesting the logs, getting the logs to the river (and thusly to the sawmills) and the evolution of industry equipment and methods. Vintage equipment, models and dioramas help tell the lumbering story while other related stories, such as how communities adapted as the supply of logs diminished and the lumber mills relocated, are told. The parts of a tree are discussed, several local industry icons are highlighted and a vintage “sawmill” finish the exhibits. This definite is a sawmill-oriented museum (timber processing vs. timber harvesting) and is a worthy one-hour stop if visiting Clinton or if one has never been to a logging or sawmill museum.

My next stop was the Clinton County Vietnam Veterans Memorial, also in Clinton. Between July 21, 1966 and March 29, 1971, Clinton County (population 56,749 in 1980) lost 14 men KIA and 1 MIA in Vietnam. That seemed to me to be a high per capita loss, but Google tells me that loss doesn’t compare to Beallsville OH (population 601 in 1980) which lost six young men between 1966 and 1971, earning it the unsolicited distinction of having suffered the largest per-capita loss of life in the Vietnam War. By comparison, for my Rockford IL-area family and friends, there was a total of 51 men from Rockford (population 139,712 in 1980) who were killed over the course of the war – which actually is a higher loss than Clinton County’s loss. Thanks to all those Clinton County men and Beallsville OH men and Rockford IL men who gave all. The adjacent Romanesque style courthouse was dedicated in August 1897 and is made of granite and red Indian Pipestone from Minnesota. It features a large central tower and a copper roof, which has weathered to a bright green color. The exterior of the courthouse is worthy of a stop unto itself; however, I was unable to see the interior on a “Schoolless Saturday.” It seems there are advantages and disadvantages to everything one does!

I had two attractions that didn’t fit into any of my itineraries very well but were only slightly out of the way as I returned to the campground from Clinton. First was the Iowa 80 Trucking Museum in Walcott IA. In spite of the fact that my stomach was amidst a serious protest but since the museum was nearing its bewitching hour, I stopped at the museum first. From the museum web site, “Learn how the trucking industry has evolved over the years. There are many trucks and memorabilia on display. Each truck has a story of how it was used.” That, my friends, is a gross understatement! This museum, which is supported by donation alone, has the most comprehensive historical record of the motorized trucking industry I have ever seen BY FAR. There are well over fifty different trucks configured to at least a dozen different uses, from dump trucks to general delivery vans to redi-mix haulers to tankers to flatbeds. Most are straight trucks, but there are some semis (not eighteen-wheelers, but six-wheelers). Most have been restored to near pristine condition (as determined by an unknowing eye); however, some remain “rusty gold” – perhaps awaiting restoration or perhaps to provide a perspective of just how much effort has been applied to the collection. This is one museum for which I feel no need to offer advise – you either are already interested and know you want to stop or already know you plan to “keep on truckin.”

Right next door, appropriately, is the Iowa 80 Truckstop. Yup, it’s in Walcott too. It established itself here
This Is A Truck Stop, Any Questions?This Is A Truck Stop, Any Questions?This Is A Truck Stop, Any Questions?

Iowa 80 Kitchen – Iowa 80 Truckstop - Walcott IA
in 1964 and now boasts that it is the World’s Largest Truckstop. From the web site, “Iowa 80 Truckstop features eight restaurant choices, a convenience store, gift store, Super Truck Showroom, barber shop, chiropractor, dentist, movie theater, workout room, laundry facilities, gas islands, diesel fuel center, truck service center, Truckomat truck wash, Dogomat pet wash, CAT Scale, 24- private showers, trucking museum and more!” Who would I be to argue the “world’s largest truckstop?” It definitely is something to behold. One of those dining choices is the Iowa 80 Kitchen. I had the catfish dinner, and it was quite tasty; however, most of the professional drivers opted for the appealing buffet – when you’re paid by the mile….

On Monday, September 26, 2016, I selected a rectangular route that took me south, west, north and east. On the way to Mount Pleasant IA, I happened upon the All Veterans Memorial in Grandview IA. This is a nice generic memorial that has been placed just off the highway and merits a stop ONLY if travelling past on US 61. I continued on to the Midwest Old Threshers Heritage Museum in Mount Pleasant IA. I’m not sure exactly where to start. The Midwest Old Threshers and Settlers Association has
Most Of The Artifacts Have At Least Some Documentation, But Not This Handsome BruteMost Of The Artifacts Have At Least Some Documentation, But Not This Handsome BruteMost Of The Artifacts Have At Least Some Documentation, But Not This Handsome Brute

Midwest Old Threshers Heritage Museum & Carousel - Mount Pleasant IA
sponsored the Midwest Old Threshers Reunion since 1950. The reunion takes place for the five days leading up to Labor Day, draws 100,000 visitors from all over the world and pays tribute to antique agricultural equipment. During the Reunion, both antique and steam powered equipment in the permanent exhibits and equipment brought to the show by visitors are on display. Those permanent exhibits have, I guess, become the museum; however, there is a lot more to the museum than what I was expecting, old threshing equipment.

As I am writing this blog and read the title of the attraction very carefully, I notice the words “old” and “heritage” are in there. In fact, breaking down the name gives rise to “old threshers” (which could be a group of people, not just an accumulation of equipment) and “heritage museum” (which, indeed, might chronicle a way of life). As I noted, I was expecting to see old agricultural equipment and did; however, I saw very little “threshing” equipment. In the “Tractor Building,” there are dozens of tractors – mostly steam-powered tractors; HOWEVER, there is a significant number of gasoline-powered tractors from the first half of the twentieth century. Most of the
I Found This Horse-Drawn School Bus Unique And InterestingI Found This Horse-Drawn School Bus Unique And InterestingI Found This Horse-Drawn School Bus Unique And Interesting

Midwest Old Threshers Heritage Museum & Carousel - Mount Pleasant IA
equipment is documented sufficiently for the average tourist. Well done placards explain the dynamics of steam power and the basic operation of a steam engine.

In both the “Heritage Building” and the “Tractor Building,” there is a handful of pieces that, quite frankly, were important to the agricultural community but have nothing inherently to do with agriculture per se – i.e. a bona fide steam roller (housed in the “Tractor Building”) that is really cool but probably had no agricultural value, and a trencher (housed in the “Heritage Building”) that allowed farmers to lay field drain tile more efficiently and effectively. Actually, I have never before seen either piece of equipment and found both totally intriguing.

Also in the Heritage Building, water, ever so important in the agricultural community, is examined extensively. Other display areas include a collection of “hit and miss” engines which provided a mobile power source around the farm, the electrification of rural America, the role of women in rural America, a rural fire station, an early gas station, several railroad passenger cars, and numerous horse-drawn vehicles, including a school bus. In the “Main Building,” where the cash register is located, there is a very nice collection of old dolls. I’m not sure how that fits in with old threshers or their heritage, but it is mildly interesting nonetheless.

THEN, there is the carousel. It is housed in yet another building - the Hazel Grace Pierson Carousel Pavilion – and was not operating on the day of my visit. The young lady wrangling the cash register in the main building was kind enough to summon a maintenance man to meet me and provide access. THAT is when I learned "The Smile Machine" is powered by a Herschell-Spillman steam engine that dates back over a century. My resources list only three steam-powered carousels in the United States, and none are in Iowa! It definitely makes sense that the boiler is fired up only for festivals and other major events; however, I now have cause to plan a future pass through Iowa near the end of August!

My next stop was the American Gothic House in Eldon IA. Uncle Larry and art, you gotta be kidding! Actually, American Gothic by Grant Wood is one of the most recognized paintings in the world and is a painting in the collection of the Art Institute of Chicago. Grant said he used his sister and his dentist as models for the farmer and his daughter and dressed them as if they were “tintypes from my old family album.” The adjacent American Gothic House Center showcases Grant Wood’s life, the history of the house and has props on hand to encourage visitors to pose in front of the historic house to create their own American Gothic portrait. Admission to the Center is free, but only exterior views the of the house that inspired the painting are available. Actually, Uncle Larry likes Art – I once had an uncle named Art!

The Kalona Quilt & Textile Museum in Kalona IA was my next stop. What can I say? Since my aunt in Kentucky is a quilter; I’m a sucker for quilts, it was on my route and one never knows what one might find…. This, as are many museums whose title sounds subject-specific, has an interesting collection of minerals, a collection of Vaseline glass, also known as uranium or florescent glass, and some interesting artifacts, some quilting-related and some not so much. A limited number of quilts (I was told the display changes regularly) is nicely displayed in the Kalona Historical Village Welcome Center, which has galleries for
The Vaseline Glass Display Was Interesting And InformativeThe Vaseline Glass Display Was Interesting And InformativeThe Vaseline Glass Display Was Interesting And Informative

Kalona Quilt & Textile Museum – Kalona IA
both Amish and English quilts.

Oh, yes. You might be wondering, “Just what is Vaseline glass?” I’m so glad you asked. Uranium was a common source for yellow coloring for over a hundred years; however, it was banned as a glass component in the 1940s because a) uranium was needed to make the atomic bomb, b) there were concerns for the health of glass workers, and c) both the U.S. and the U.K. wanted to restrict access for military reasons. In the 1950s, some of these restrictions were lifted when Dow Chemical and Monsanto, the two major manufacturers of Agent Orange, announced uranium was a perfectly safe, naturally occurring …. No, No, No! Uranium still is used to a very limited degree in glass production. I would suggest if you are driving through Kalona or if you visit the Kalona Historical Village, which I had not set aside time to visit, a brief stop at the quilting museum might be enjoyable. I had plans to visit the Old Capitol Museum and the Vietnam War Memorial at the Johnson County Courthouse both in Iowa City IA; however, the traffic near both attractions was insane and parking was scarce, given the recent return to classes for University of Iowa students and staff. I headed back to the RV park.

On Tuesday, September 27, 2016, I set out to see another leg of the Great River Road National Scenic Byway. I travelled south on that iconic byway, although I missed the turnoff in Muscatine IA and, therefore, the northern part of that leg; but Irene (my GPS), took me across some gravel, backcountry roads until I hooked up again with pavement. I continued south with nothing on my agenda and nothing except relaxation on my mind until I reached Keokuk IA where I bought a Subway, crossed the river into Illinois and found a roadside table where I could enjoy lunch, the beautiful day and Mississippi River traffic.

Heading north, I happened upon the Nauvoo Area Veterans Memorial just south of Nauvoo IL. The memorial is in a park-like setting right on IL 96 and pays tribute to all local veterans. Nicely done and worth a stop, but not a member of the A List. I have heard much about Nauvoo during my time in Illinois, but have never visited and, quite honestly, didn’t know exactly what generated the interest. Therefore, I made a drive through the Nauvoo Historic District. Based on the number of tourist busses on this off-season weekday, it looks like a place where tourism dollars just can’t remain in wallet or purse.

Nauvoo actually is an historic village where members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or Mormons, “established this place of peace and beauty on a great bend in the Mississippi River“ in 1839. Today, Nauvoo is one of America’s premier historic communities where visitors can explore more than 30 historic sites from the 1839-1846 era. Again, my “drive through” was during the “off season,” so I have no concept of what living history is available nor what craftsmen and artisans might be at work during a weekend day during the peak season; however, it appears that Nauvoo might merit a full day.

The only actual destination I had on the agenda for this day of crusin’ the countryside was the Horse and Buggy Museum in Biggsville IL. Again, where do I start? First, this is a HORSE (-DRAWN) AGRICULTURAL EQUIPMENT (not buggy) MUSEUM. There is one buggy, one sleigh and one bob sled in the entire collection. Second, there is insufficient room to do justice to this really nice collection of historic equipment. Indeed, some equipment is in the middle of three files (file as in rank and file) and is virtually inaccessible for closer examination, and the equipment placed in the outer files has only one side readily visible.

Third, numerous interactive monitors sport video clips of the equipment in action out on the farm. From the attraction web site, “The museum has one of the largest video collections in the U.S. of draft horses performing farming operations. There are currently twenty-four, five minute long (sic) videos on touch screen televisions. These videos make the static displays come alive. With horses attached and the equipment working, little is left to the imagination.” You do the math. That’s two hours of video presentation. Continuing, “There are many more videos being prepared for the touch screen TV’s.” Unfortunately, the self-guided visitor has no way of knowing which video is “the pick of the (plowing or harvesting or whichever) litter” and therefore might miss the “best of” footage.

Fortunately, I was the only museum guest, so the wife of the horse-drawn enthusiast who created the museum was my tour guide. We spent much less time talking about equipment than watching videos. I believe the museum serves an extremely important role in America’s heritage. Biggsville is a destination “ya gotta wanna” visit, but altering the location is probably not a viable option. Enlarging the building is probably not either. I wish I had a suggestion to offer so this attraction would be more appealing to the average tourist who is genuinely interested in understanding and preserving America’s heritage and then talks about the attraction after returning home, “It’s worth the drive to see the….” Perhaps, a name change that more accurately portrays the museum’s themes and mission, but I have no suggestion. Perhaps, editing the footage into a “best of” 30-45-minute presentation that could be shown as a preview to viewing the equipment (with full footage on DVD available for purchase). Perhaps, less equipment presented in more appealingly displays which are more accessible. I don’t have any answers, but I know that I want this institution to survive.

The Quad Cities of Illinois and Iowa are, without question, painted John Deere Green. Did Uncle Larry intentionally save the best for last? Well, not really. I had visits planned for Ottumwa Works in Ottumwa IA, where John Deere manufactures round balers, large square balers, small square balers, mower-conditioners, self-propelled windrowers and pull-type forage harvesters, and for Harvester Works in East Moline IL, where John Deere manufactures combines and associated headers; however, both those facilities were not offering tours during the time of my visit. Perhaps shut down for model year changeover???

Never fear, Uncle Larry headed for the John Deere Historic Site in Grand Detour IL. The story of John Deere's Plow and what made it so special is a story unto its own and the timeline of the growth of what today is Deere and Company is intriguing. The tour starts with a stop at the enclosed archeological site. Archaeologists found the site of John Deere’s blacksmith shop in 1963 and excavations have revealed the location of the forge and other work stations (such as the location of the anvil) within the shop building. A video presentation offers “John Deere” describing how he built his thriving business.

The next stop on the tour was the blacksmith shop which is an exact replica of John Deere’s shop as revealed by the archaeologists. The smithy on duty was very personable and provided an interesting account (in layman’s terms) “of what he was doing and why,” as he transformed a piece of raw steel into a usable product. Inside the original 1836 six-room John Deere home, the visitor can see how the Deere family raised eight children and housed live-in apprentices. Period furnishings and household items show how pioneers cooked, cleaned, bathed, and spent their few leisure hours. The tour ends, where else, in the gift shop. John Deere Historic Site is a definite “must see” if one wants to learn the history of the Quad Cities, of John Deere or of agriculture in the United States.

On the way to the John Deere Historic Site, I had spotted a veterans’ memorial and planned to stop on my return trip. Veterans Memorial Park in Dixon IL is a tribute to all veterans and Gold Star mothers. I can’t remember another memorial with as diverse and as comprehensive a compliment of military hardware – a Cobra attack helicopter, an F-105D Thunderchief, a Kaiser Jeep ambulance, a “six by,” a 155 mm howitzer and a 6,000-pound Navy anchor. Poems adorn the Gold Star mothers’ memorial and the Fallen Soldier Memorial. This is not the most breath-taking local veterans’ memorial I have seen, but I believe it is the largest and the most well-appointed.

I made another John Deere Green stop at Deere & Company World Headquarters in Moline IL. This, boys and girls, is not your typical corporate office building. The headquarters building sets on 1,400 beautiful acres of wooded, rolling hills and is of an award-winning building design. The building features a huge display floor with vintage and modern equipment and a three-dimensional historical timeline mural, "Reflections of an Era," that follows 177 years of John Deere history. Little did I know, the company was throwing a party to celebrate my visit. Actually, the day of my visit was the last day on the job for Patrick E. Pinkston “after 40 years of distinguished and committed service” as the Vice President, Information Solutions. Congratulations Pat, and enjoy your retirement as much as I have. What is exceptional about the World Headquarters is that all of the modern equipment on the display floor, from a commonplace eight-wheel-drive tractor to a road grader to a nine-row corn picker (and more) has city-folk-friendly stairs to access the cabin of the equipment. It’s neat to get an operator’s perspective and to see the myriad control levers, joysticks and video screens. The kids loved it.

Yet another day found me with three, four or five John Deere Green stops – all depends on how one splits the proverbial hair, or is that hare? First was a tour of the Deere-Wiman House & Butterworth Center in Moline (one stop or two?). Both historic homes once belonged to John Deere’s descendants but are now operated by the William Butterworth Foundation and serve year-round as sites for educational and cultural events and as meeting space for not-for-profit organizations.

In 1872, John Deere's son, Charles, built Overlook (today the Deere-Wiman House) for his wife, Mary Little Dickinson Deere, and their daughters, Anna and Katherine, born in 1864 and 1866, respectively. The family named their Swiss Villa style residence Overlook because of its desirable hilltop location above the growing city of Moline and the family business, John Deere Plow Works. Overlook served as home to four generations of Deere descendants; however, after the death of Pattie Southall Wiman in 1976, it was donated for public use. Today, tours of Deere-Wiman House offer visitors an authentic glimpse into Victorian family life and architectural innovations of the past century. Points of interest include an elevator believed to date from the 1890s, a Kimball pipe organ (c. 1910 -
A Pretty Fancy Mantle …A Pretty Fancy Mantle …A Pretty Fancy Mantle …

Butterworth Center - Moline IL
1920) and a multi-nozzle spa shower, reminiscent of the healing hot spring resort waters popular during the early twentieth century.

In 1892, Charles Deere built Hillcrest (today Butterworth Center) a block from his own home as a wedding gift for his youngest daughter Katherine and her husband William Butterworth. Over the years, the Butterworths tripled the size of their home. As part of one of the additions to the living room, a pipe organ was installed which was, at that time, one of the largest residential organs in the Midwest. Another special feature of Butterworth Center is the library which was built in 1917. First, a New York art dealer called to say that he had found an 18th century Italian ceiling painting in Venice, Italy. The Butterworths were elated and bought the painting. Then, an addition was designed and constructed to house the painting. (Singing) Money keeps falling from the sky…. The art is believed to have been painted by Gaspare Diziani and is one of only six known Venetian ceiling paintings in existence in the United States today. Very cool! Although John Deere never lived in either house, he did visit both in his later years.
… For A Pretty Fancy Ceiling!… For A Pretty Fancy Ceiling!… For A Pretty Fancy Ceiling!

Butterworth Center - Moline IL


As an aside, John Deere’s home is not available for public visitation. Completed in 1880, Deere lived in the house for six years until his death in 1886 and his widow, Lucenia, lived there until her death in 1888. The house remained in the Deere family until 1933, when it was sold to a banker. Since then, it has experienced a painful, heart-wrenching, downward-spiraling journey. In 1936, the house was sold to an interior decorator who divided the 8,000 square-foot mansion into 11 apartments. For the next 50 years, the property has had several different owners, has been the subject of lawsuits, has fallen into disrepair, has been embraced by historic preservationists and, currently, sits unoccupied awaiting the inevitable march of father time. So, sad.

Hurry, hurry, Uncle Larry. Don’t be late for your factory tour of the John Deere Seeding Group, also in Moline. All of you who might have an interest in taking one of the half dozen or so factory tours John Deere offers, be forewarned – photography, indeed cell phones, are not allowed. I arrived to find two tour guides awaiting about 10-12 visitors. One guide took three men while the other 7-9 visitors went with the second tour guide – I kinda got the impression the first three were customers and got the deluxe treatment. Hmmm. Our guide was fine, but he didn’t field some of the questions agilely and seemed to struggle with his presentation periodically. The tour is great for us technogeeks and engineering wannabes; however, for the average tourist, probably not so much.

My final stop in my two-week visit to the Quad Cities was at the John Deere Pavilion and the “how-conveniently-located-right-next-door” John Deere Store, both in Moline (one stop or two?). Outside there are three pieces of equipment, all off limits to visitors, and inside there are several modern and vintage specimens with only one modern piece available for ascension into the cabin. That really cool piece of equipment is a Feller-Buncher which grasps a tree, cuts it off at the ground, transports it to the desired location and deposits it as the operator dictates. Another cool piece of logging equipment found inside is the six-legged walker harvester. A stop in the Quad Cities wouldn’t be complete without something John Deere Green, so I walked over to the store. All you kids, make sure Mommy and Daddy take you to the store, too. All the merchandise is so inexpensive they can afford to buy you 5 or 6 toys and shirts!

Some might remember that I had a “small world” experience at a barber shop in Gowrie IA in July 2010, Saint Joseph MO, Jefferson IA, The Amana Colonies and Then Rockford IL, and got hooked up with a cousin of mine (I guess, technically a third cousin as our grandfathers were brothers). Well, he got me contact info for his brother who lives in the Quad Cities area. How is it that it took so long for me to get to the Quad Cities when I visit Rockford so regularly? When I first called my cousin, he and his bride were vacationing in Michigan whereupon he agreed to call me after their return. FINALLY, we got together for breakfast on my final Saturday morning, for football and dinner on Sunday and again for dinner on Tuesday. There is absolutely no possible way I look malnourished unless both of them need glasses R-E-A-L-L-Y badly! We all hit it off splendidly, and I’ve now got some new friends to visit periodically.



With the family members removed from the equation, I had a nice two weeks in the Quad Cities. The Corps of Engineers campground gave me the Mississippi River traffic to watch, the weather cooperated, the roads were easy to navigate and the attractions were interesting. When my cousin’s family gets thrown into the mix – well, that’s akin (pun intended) to puttin’ gravy on the taters. For those who don’t have two weeks, make sure to see the John Deere Historic Site and the Deere & Company World Headquarters – for, “as goes Deere, so goes the Quad Cities.”


Additional photos below
Photos: 131, Displayed: 46


Advertisement

Locals Celebrities Are Given Their DueLocals Celebrities Are Given Their Due
Locals Celebrities Are Given Their Due

Buffalo Bill Museum - Le Claire IA
Was This Really Abraham Lincoln’s Desk?Was This Really Abraham Lincoln’s Desk?
Was This Really Abraham Lincoln’s Desk?

Buffalo Bill Museum - Le Claire IA
This Dog-Powered Treadmill Was Used To Churn ButterThis Dog-Powered Treadmill Was Used To Churn Butter
This Dog-Powered Treadmill Was Used To Churn Butter

Buffalo Bill Museum - Le Claire IA
The Types Of Memorabilia Vary WidelyThe Types Of Memorabilia Vary Widely
The Types Of Memorabilia Vary Widely

Buffalo Bill Museum - Le Claire IA


Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.024s; cc: 11; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0547s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb