A2 RIHLA #27


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois
May 27th 2013
Published: May 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The article "Boy Scouts to allow gay youths to join" is about how openly gay youths would be allowed to join the Boy Scouts of America after over 60% of the group's national council voted that the action would be upheld and be effective on January 1st, 2014. This historic even took place in Grapevine, Texas, where the voting during the annual meeting took place on Thursday May 23rd. The people involved in this event were the Boy Scouts of America themselves, the group's 1,400-member national council, and the openly gay youths who were now allowed to join the group. The human right that was being violated was Article 2, which is don't discriminate, and even though it was later protected, the right was violated in that openly gay youths were not allowed to join the Boy Scouts of America before this event occurred. While my thoughts on this article are positive, there is still the matter of the allowance of openly gay scout leaders to be able to join the Boy Scouts of America as the ban on openly gay youths was the only thing lifted during the voting. This upsets me because if the Boy Scouts of America's national council decided to uplift its ban on openly gay youths, then why didn't they uplift the ban on openly gay leaders to join the group as well? There is a big possibility that a large portion of the LGBT community would life to be accepted to many groups around America, which includes the Boy Scouts of America as well in terms of joining and leading the group too. The LGBT community is already in battle in gay marriage become legalized in America, so allowing gay leaders in the Boy Scouts of America should not be that big of an issue, to me at least. Other than gay leaders still not being allowed in the Boy Scouts of America, this article is still a very positive one as this is a huge milestone for the group itself and those who were denied entry into the group for their sexual orientation.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0982s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb