Field Museum


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois
May 23rd 2009
Published: May 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Our primary reason for coming to Chicago was the Field Museum's Real Pirates exhibition. Liam loves pirates and will have a birthday party to match next month, so we figured he'd love it. He did seem to enjoy it, but it wasn't exactly what I was expecting. It was the tale of the Whydah, a slave ship before it was captured by Captain Sam Bellamy and his crew. It sank off the coast of Cape Cod and wasn't rediscovered until 300 years later. Liam's favorite part of the exhibit was hoisting the Jolly Roger. (We have friends named Molly & Roger and Jeff always thinks of pirates.)

We had never been to the Field Museum before. It's a classic natural history museum and old enough to have that retro feel, at least in some exhibits. Plants of the World was very much old-school--wax reproductions, smallish titles and descriptions. Cole shrieked and threw himself on the floor for most of that one, so none of us got much out of it. Everyone did better in the animal exhibits, thankfully. The boys got the most out of the Evolving Planet exhibit. Liam loves being able to identify some of the skeletons. Actually, both boys are on a dinosaur kick of late, too. Cole will walk up to anyone he sees, get right in their and roar.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.481s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 63; dbt: 0.3377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb