Arrival in Nauvoo


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois
June 15th 2005
Published: June 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday, June 15, 2005
Keokuk, IA
One more long drive! We got up in Michigan City early and got straight on the bus and began to drive. I actually got up a little earlier, as I didn’t set my clock back an hour for the time zone change. All was well, though, since I overslept my alarm somewhat anyway, plus it got me out of the bathroom before Mona got up and gave me time to prepare a devotional, which I presented on the bus this morning. I told a little about Philip Paul Bliss, and read verses from Section 101 (14-16, and 35-38 I think), then made a couple applications and we sang “More Holiness Give Me”.
The coach ran great today, and we made it into Nauvoo in plenty of time. I slept like a rock on the bus—a couple naps, actually—having gotten a little less sleep the night before. When we got into town, we had a few minutes to grab some lunch and look around the Allyn House for gifts. Then we took a few minutes to look around the Nauvoo Visitors Center and change clothes for the temple.
The temple is the most photogenic I’ve ever seen. In fact, it doesn’t look real somehow. The session was beautiful. I loved being back in a room-to-room temple. The murals were gorgeous. I would bet that Walter Rane did the Creation room, and I would guess Greg Olsen did the Garden room. Anyway, afterward I asked the temple workers if Mona and I could peek at the font, and we ended up with half the group coming down in shifts. The font is beautiful, too—and very large!
After the temple, we walked down to Grandpa John’s, but it was closed. I don’t know if that was supposed to be scheduled or reserved, but we fortunately were able to fit in the Hotel Nauvoo for their buffet, which was delicious. I know Mona and the Garfields especially loved the catfish filet. After dinner we went back to the Nauvoo VC to change clothes and then made our way down to the end of Parley street to watch the Sunset show. Very talented group. I actually skipped out on part of the show to photograph the sunset on the river, and the Trail of Hope markers. Then I went back to find Mona and we took a stroll down to the river and sat on a couple stumps and watched the river flow and a huge barge roll by (the biggest I’ve ever seen). After that I took her out to the Trail of Hope and read her all the markers. We also caught a couple lightning bugs which she saved in her empty water bottle to show Malissa and some others after the show when we went back to the bus.
While we were walking, I noticed the temple was now lit up and simply amazing. I ran back to ask Gordon if we could drive by for a photo of it. He wasn’t planning to, but thought it was a good idea, so we did on the way to the motel. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get my camera supported at the required tilt, so I ended up having to support it with my hand, and the pictures turned out terrible. And tomorrow night we’ll be in Carthage, so I lost my chance to get the best shot of the whole trip. Augh!
Anyway, here we are in Keokuk at the hotel (Holiday Inn Express), and getting to bed late again. It seems to be a nice hotel—we’re on the fifth floor, and I have wi-fi access for tonight and tomorrow night.
Mike Moore sent an interesting note about a vault, or tomb, Joseph Smith had built for his and his family’s burial on the south side of the temple lot. I hope to check it out tomorrow.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb