Chicago Family Wedding: day 2 - Chicago shops and Greetings


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois
March 8th 2018
Published: August 21st 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today our body clocks were out of sync. We awoke much too early. By 7am Caroline likewise couldn’t sleep any longer. So the three of us decided to look for some breakfast and to get food from a 'health' market. It was certainly colder outside than we were used to, but at least it did not rain nor snow.

We found the South Loop Market and picked up some supplies which we brought back to the hotel.

After breakfast the two of us wandered around the shops, looking for US bargains. Caroline declined the shopping trip. We were particularly interested in the huge Macy's, but after roaming several floors all that we purchased were two cups of coffee. We peeked into a few more shops but decided we really didn't care any more.

Upon returning to the hotel we found Don's family had begun arriving. First we spotted Don's youngest brother Mike and his wife Rob. As parents of the groom, they would naturally have a prominent role in the weekend. Next we spied Ben and he introduced us to Sammi whom we immediately liked.

We also greeted Don's niece Katie, Mike and Rob's daughter, and her husband Ben. (Much more about them in our subsequent blog "Galapagos and Beyond" - a trip in which we attended their deferred wedding party.)

Next to arrive were Don's older brother Al and his wife Sandy, who had driven to Chicago over a period of days. Don's younger brother Lee - the fourth Nadel brother - was also driving from out of state, but not expected until Friday.

Meanwhile Al's daughter Fran and son Russ with his wife Tara and young son Ari were flying in on Thursday evening. They chose to stay in a different hotel nearby for logistical reasons. So we would not see Don's nephew Russ or niece Fran until the wedding on Saturday night. And we would not see Don's great-nephew Ari until Sunday morning.

Thursday ended with a family dinner at Milt's BBQ for the Perplexed - a well known kosher establishment outside central Chicago. We also bought meals for shabbat from Milt's, but they lacked spare challah rolls so they sent me to a market down the street where they sourced some of their bread. Indeed I found kosher rolls but when Lesley saw the package she cringed at the thought of making shabbat with Hot Cross Buns - yes with a big cross on their center as Easter was coming soon. Luckily we found some alternative kosher rolls the next day.

.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb