Old Stone Fort State Archaeological Park, TN to Marion Campground & RV Park, IL with last minute stop to Metropolis, Home of Superman


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Marion
May 10th 2022
Published: May 12th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Today we decided it was time to slow it down. We woke early, I worked remotely again this morning, and then we took a leisurely walk through the Old Stone Fort Campground. One cool thing that Nate was interested in was the old trestle bridge that was once the main entrance to the campground but is now a walking path between the campground and main park. The view from the bridge was pretty. The river was full of algae, many turtles and bass were swimming round, and a few bumble bees were flying around. I particularly enjoyed birding. We found an eastern bluebird, Carolina wren, tufted titmouse, and red shouldered hawk. I was on the lookout for a summer tanager, but only could hear the bird from a high distance. We were so lucky yesterday to see a blue painted bunting at Rutledge Falls.



After this we got on the road, and I continued to work. During the drive Nate noticed a sign that read Metropolis, Home of Superman followed by a sign that read world’s largest Superman statue so of course a detour was in order. From Nates face you would have thought he just won tickets to DMB (his long-term favorite band). We were able to take our time and explore the Superman square with our doggies tagging along. We were able to even take the doggies in the Superman gift shop. To top it off we got a picture of the truck and trailer in tow right beside the 15 feet tall Superman statue.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb