This Rig is heading closer to home!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Effingham
July 23rd 2018
Published: July 23rd 2018
Edit Blog Post

This isn’t our most exciting day, unless you are one of our complaining neighbors that think we need to hurry home...and you KNOW who you are... Just Saying...

We pulled out of camp a little later than usual (10:15) mainly because we got into an interesting conversation with a Canadian couple that were in the site next to us. They have recently retired and were on their way to Newfoundland and then back to the Maritime Provinces and then more touring in Canada as they head back to British Columbia Province with no particular time frame. They were delightful, and we very much enjoyed talking to them.

We crossed the border (the Mississippi River) into Illinois at 10:45, stopping for pictures at the Welcome Center. It was 80 degrees and humid...not boding well for our arrival in Mt. Juliet!

As you can well imagine, there are many corn and soybean fields in Illlinois. These folks don’t seem to keep the edges of their fields mowed as nicely, but they are still beautiful. The topography varied from very flat to low rolling hills. We also passed once again several wind farms that seemed to have hundreds of wind turbines on them. Amazing. I would like to see one of them installed. It must be akin to installing the henges (stones) at Stonehenge in England—meaning a complex operation that is interpreted as having religious connotations thousands of years later! (Just a weird thought of mine!!)

We pulled into our camp for the evening, Camp Lakewood Campground, at 4:15. It is very nice. Wooded lots, right on a small lake, level, good electric, and what looks to be great WiFi! It just doesn’t get any better. Betty C, John says we are close to at least three railroad tracks, we are close to the interstate, and the chances are good that there is a Walmart near here, so it is a bonfide campground for sure!

We are wobbly about when we will actually turn into Bastion Circle. We might get home tomorrow, but the chances are great that it will be on Wednesday. If we go in tomorrow, it will be late in the afternoon. Since it is a little complicated for us to leave the RV in the neighborhood overnight, we will more likely camp fairly close to home so that we can get in, unload, and take Mufasa back to his man cave. Not sure as of yet, so keep us on your travel blessings prayer lists!

We drove 266 miles today. John says so far we have driven over 4,000 miles on this trip. Yay us!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

View of MississippiView of Mississippi
View of Mississippi

Iowa is across the river. Illinois on this side of the river. Beautiful View.
Grain elevator?Grain elevator?
Grain elevator?

Not being farmers, we are not sure what this is...it is just big!!


24th July 2018

bossy Neighbor But Loves you Alot Anyway
Well this farmer has some RED tomatoes on her Kitchen Counter next to her Shiny new Stainless Steel Appliances. If you get home before I leave at 6 am on Friday you might get one or two. By the way they are almost all picked off the vine and not many are left. Home in just the nick of time I think. Just a little incentive to head south to the land of Great Country Music and Fantastic Sermon's from Jacob Armstrong and his great fellowship of pastors and speakers. The weather has been quite pleasant lately in the low 80's and low humidity but starting to warm up again later this week.
24th July 2018

Thanks Lora!
Fresh tomatoes sound great...a really good reason to get home before Friday!
24th July 2018

Sad...
I think it is always a let down when a camping trip is coming to an end. =(. I am glad that you have had a safe fun trip. We have enjoyed reading your blog. Keep being safe!
24th July 2018

Travel safe
Thank you for sharing. When I retire, I’m going to travel with you all. Much love. The other Pat

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.035s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb