RIHLA#19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 27th 2013
Published: February 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Most people only know and believe what they are told about Christopher Columbus. They don't know that he was at all not a fairly good person. He only wanted to focus on a mission which was to find riches and gold. He labeled "Indians" the use of violence and slavery, the forced conversion of native people's to Christianity, and the introduction of a host of new diseases that would have dramatic long term effects on native people in the Americas. Columbus and his team enslaed native and subjected them to extreme violence and brutality. Enacted policies of forced in which natives were put to work for the sake of profits. He has put discipline into what is now the Caribbean country of Dominican Republic. He exchanged plants, animals, and good between east and west voyages. Later , it came to hunt him in court when a settler accused him of mismangement. In my opinion my reaction is that i didnt know all this because i was never taught the truth of what he did. I would say myself that he is not a true gentlemen and he got what he deserved. When it is protests that the teaching of Christopher Columbus should not be in the classroom I some what agree, but then again all history should be taught. I say the holiday shouldn't be really celebrated. This relates to our class because we are talking about people who explored the world.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb