RIHLA #19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 27th 2013
Published: March 12th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The article "Columbus controversy" talks about how historians have learned that Culumbus is not as much of a hero as we make him out to be. As we came across these islands he ran into native people and enslaved them. They were also subjected to extreme violence and brutality. In the New World islands alot of trading started going on and it became known as the "Columbian Exchange". This was the exchange of plants, animals and goods between the East and West islands. Eventually karma came rolling around and settlers began to go against Columbus in the spanish court accusing him of mismanagement. After that they detained him and shipped him home.

I was actually very surprised to read some of this information because I did not think we would celebrate for someone who has done all of this. Sure Columbus had some positive effects but I did not know he had just as many negative. We probably should not celebrate someone who was also detained and sent home because of his actions. I would also like to know what the qualifications are to make a holiday in honor of someone.

I think it relates to class because we have been looking at how people were portrayed and seen throught the eyes of others and pointing out whats they have done that has had either negative or positive effects.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1021.9kb