RIHLA #19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 25th 2013
Published: February 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

1) The Article I picked up was about Columbus and that many people want to stop his holiday to be celebrated. It talked about how he mistreated the people he named "Indians" by enslaving them and torturing them. It also talked about how he got punished by the kind and queen because he was accused of mismanagement.

2) I already knew this so I am just wondering why it takes people so long to take off Columbus day off as a holiday. He is not, in any definition of mine, a hero. He enslaved people because of his greed and stole from them. Since the Taino were peaceful people, they didn't even need to be treated harshly. I feel he is more of a monster than a hero because his goal was never to discover new land and save it. It was to find new lands and people to enslave and make money off of. In my opinion, he should not have a holiday.

3) We are currently learning about how people are starting to discover these lands unknown to them and how they are treating the people there and using them to their advantage. We are also learning a little about Columbus and his trip.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb