A6 - RIHLA #13


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
December 16th 2012
Published: December 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

1. The one that's banned from France is the most concealing veil-- it covers the whole body from head to toe and even the face. There's only a mesh screen that allows women to see. This veil is called the Burqa. The one that Hind Ahma is wearing, also known as the Niqab, is a veil that hides the body from head to toe, covering the face and leaving only a slit for the eyes.

2. Ahmas is unable to wear her veil because France had a 'burqa ban' since April 2011. In this law, women are not tolerated to cover their face in public for reasons relating to religion. If this law is broken, they'll have to pay $200 and even take classes that teach them about French 'values'. She felt miserable and thinks that the law is unjust.

3. The two reasons for their support on the law are:


• It prevents them from having anything to do wiht the French society and also stop crimes and terrorism.
• It helps women be free of oppression.


4. No I odn't think that government should be able to decide what constitutes femal oppression because sometimes they don't understand what women really go through. According to the text, what they did was thought that it could benefit the French society. Instead, it did the opposite effect: "'The law was meant to protect women but it was imprisoned them instead', says Rachid Nekkaz, a French businessman of Algerian descent, who has offered to compensate women for any fines incurred for wearing the niqab (Unveiling Europe 7)."

Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb