Veteran's Day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
November 13th 2012
Published: November 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Veteran's Day







1. Veteran's Day relates back to what we are learning in World History because of how we are learning about the past and how the wars that happened in our past impacted us. In addition, as a result of this day many troops die fighting for our country and for their hard work they are honored. People decide whether or not it is right for them to fight for their country, and they think it over. In the end, the choice they make comes from what they believe is right , if they decide they would like to fight for their country then they do that. Their final decision is finalized by them not by what others tell them.







2. What really caught my attention was that as a result of an unidentified soldier dieing in War, Veteran's Day became a federal legal holiday approved by the U.S Congress. Also Congress said that on this day it should be dedicated to prayer and peace to honor the many who taken part in war and who had died honoring their country. In contrast, an act was approved on May 13,1938 that November 11 should be a legal holiday ,and which is dedicated to the cause of world peace and should be therefore known as Armistice Day. The 83rd U.S Congress amended the 1938 act that had made Armistice Day a holiday to honor, using the word "Armistice" in favor of Veterans. In the end, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the legislation on June 1st, 1954 from then on November 11 is dedicated to honor American Veterans of all wars.




3. Questions that came to mind where : What historical wars in the past caused Veterans Day to become what it is today in U.S History?




What can people learn from Veteran's Day and apply it to their everyday lives?



http://www.history.com/topics/history-of-veterans-day








Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb