RIHLA #21


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
March 5th 2012
Published: March 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

1) Modern slavery is different from earlier forms of slavery that occured in the United States in many ways. First of all, modern slavery is very hidden, while past slavery was very spread out and public. Now a days, people are not enslaved in cabins or south side farms. People are enslaved in sex usages, factories, homes, and even farms. However, people know less about modern slavery because the people in charge of the slavery keep all the action very secretly and sneaky.

2) This movement against sex trafficking connects to the legacy of Abraham Lincoln in many ways. People in this movement follow the same views that President Lincoln had. They believe slavery is wrong and should be abolished completely. Also, President Lincoln influenced these people about doing the right thing and fighting for people's rights.

3) The Polaris project is a anti- trafficking organization. This organization wants to help out the 12 million people being enslaved in the U.S., and the 27 million enslaved people around the world. I think this organization is key toward ending all types of slavery. People that are part of this organization will influence other people to join the organization or create other different organizations that will also help toward ending slavery.

4) I do agree that human sex trafficking is a type of slavery. The people being exported or imported are treated like property, just how Black people in the past were treated as property. Therefore, this is completely wrong as well. Also, the victims wish to stop these cruel actions, but the people in charge won't let them leave.

5) Some other examples of modern day slavery can be people working in farms in California, Arizona, New Mexico, and other states. This is a type of slavery because the people working are mostly minorities or undocumented, and their bosses mostly do not treat them right. They have little to none rights. They get paid under minimum wage sometimes, and the workers can not complain because they are afraid.

6) I think slavery needs to end NOW. President Lincoln started and build the first steps toward ending slavery, and now, we have to finish it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0535s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb