RIHLA #19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 22nd 2012
Published: February 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post


• What are some of the reasons that books are banned in high schools?



Some books are banned because they are contraversial topics that some people may not want their children to see because of race, age, or culture.




• Do you agree with any of these reasons? Explain.



I actually am a "fence-sitter" for this topic because I believe that both are okay. Some people should be censored to these topics because of the beliefs they are accustomed to. They should have the right to believe in certain things and decide whether or not they are willing to expose themselves to such profanity. On the other hand, I also think that people should know the truth to life. Most books can talk about histoy, sex, and other contraversial topics. Even if those opinions are not true, it possibly has/had a large impact on our society today.




• What reasons do you NOT agree with (this means that you think high school students SHOULD be able to read about these topics). Why?



I think that students should be exposed to these topics just so they can relate their opinions to another context and they should be able to debate whatever they think is the right view.




• Who do you think pressures teachers on what they should or shouldn't teach?



I think that teachers are pressured by the school board and themselves. The school board has a lot to do with what is apart of the curriculum and what may or may not be acceptable for certain age groups. I think they are pressured from themselves because some may be biased in their own beliefs and may or may not want to teach certain topics in desired subjects.


• If one wanted to fight against book censorship, explain at least one way in which they could do so.



They can have a meeting with people involved in creating the curriculum for the high school students and discuss all the possible outcomes and concerns they have based on peoples opinions.



I dont understand why this topic is so contraversial. I understand people have their own beliefs, but if they are really unhappy with what is happening within the schools, why dont they just put their children in a school that follows whatever their belief system is? Not everyone wants to be educated the same way, so they shouldn't make everyone suffer because of a few opinions.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.173s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1154s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb