RIHLA #18


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 13th 2012
Published: February 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Name of Interviewee: Hortencia Olvera

Relationship to Interviewee: Mom

Decade of Choice: 1980s

Describe the environment in which you lived for that decade: There was a lot of Rock 'n' Roll music, the city was less polluted, prices on products were much cheaper, there were a lot of gangs in the neighborhood she lived in, and drugs were popular.

What major activities did you participate in? Got a real job, and had her own house with her husband.

What were the major social issues of that decade? There was a first woman Mayor of Chicago, Jane Byrne in the early 80s. Also the first African American Mayor, Harold L. Washington. The cabbage patch kids were manufactured and sold in stores. Star Wars came out in theaters in 1983. AIDS Virus was officially discovered.

What was the biggest turning point for you during that decade? Why? Getting married and having her first child. This was difficult because she had never lived away from home before and starting a new life with a man would be a new experience. Also having a child was challenging because not only was she in charge of taking care of herself, but she was in charge of a baby's life as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In your own words, do you think that location has influenced this person's actions? If so, explain: I think location didn't influence my mom's actions because in her neighborhood, she was exposed to gangs, drugs, and violence, but she never participated in those activities. Coming from parents that had strict rules, she knew how to decide between right and wrong.

Do you think your location within the last decade of your life has influenced your actions? Explain: I think it has influenced my life because now there are more dangerous areas that may harm my life, so I have to make sure I don't try to follow what others do because it might end badly.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0705s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb