Rihla # 19


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
February 21st 2012
Published: February 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

"High School Banned Books"


• What are some of the reasons that books are banned in high schools?
• Do you agree with any of these reasons? Explain.
• What reasons do you NOT agree with (this means that you think high school students SHOULD be able to read about these topics). Why?
• Who do you think pressures teachers on what they should or shouldn't teach?
• If one wanted to fight against book censorship, explain at least one way in which they could do so.
• Any other additional thoughts or comments?



As stated in the reading of "High School Banned Books" books are banned in high schools because of "sex, profanity, and racism remain the primary categories of objections" (Doyle 2). Moreover, just because there is sex profanity, and rasicm it may be "offensive or disagreeable" to others. Other issues involve controversial topics, and how parents do not want to expose their children to these certain readings.

I do not agree with any of these reasons because I think anyone is entitled to read whatever they please. People should not be able to deny children of reading books that express the learning of the real world. If there parents do not teach them then who else will? Especially if these kids are in highschool it should not matter what they read because they have rights too.

I agree that students should be able to read about these topics because it is out there so if you are not learning about it at home then learn about it in a book, which will probably help you in a real world situation. For example, if a student were to come across racism and the book that they were reading expressed how to go about that certain situation in a positive manner. Moreover, as I was reading the books I was shocked that My Mom's Having a Baby would have a problem because as I was reading the description I picture a great book about child birth.

I think parents, teacher's own opinions, and especially the principal of the school pressures teachers on what they should or shouldn't teach. Everyone has a different opinion and one can influence their own opinion, thought, and or idea upon the other person just to get their own point across.

I think if one wanted to fight against book censorship then they should have evidence on where it can positively impact the students by giving a presentation to someone of higher power that can help them. Or possibly write a letter to the President of the US stating their issue and how they want to target the problem.

I honestly think those books that were listed were really intresting and I myself have read some of them and they were great books.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.04s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb