Most Powerful Images of 2011


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
January 10th 2012
Published: January 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

March Days - Baku, AzerbaijanMarch Days - Baku, AzerbaijanMarch Days - Baku, Azerbaijan

A policeman detains an opposition activist in Baku on March 12. Azerbaijan police detained more than 30 activists of the opposition Musavat Party when its members took to the street of Baku to protest against the ruling elite following a similar rally a day before. (Reuters)
1) March Days (Baku, Azerbaijan)

This picture shows a protest against the government of Azerbaijan at the capital, Baku. They want more freedom and end corruption in the government. The people are unafraid of the policemen because they want to make a change in their country for the better. I appreciate their efforts to support what they believe in.

2) Arab Spring Movement (Cairo, Egypt)

This picture is apart of the Arab Spring Movement in Cairo of Egypt to protest against its government. However, this pictures depicts Christians protecting the Muslims to do their prayers against the armed force. I think this picture is powerful because religion does not matter if people share a common goal. Both Egyptian Muslims and Christians want the greater good for the people of the Egypt even if they have different different religious beliefs.

3) Occupy UCD (Davis, USA)

This picture is of Occupy movement on the campus of University of California at San Diego. The policeman is the picture ignorantly peppersprays the students at the sit-out. Its powerful that the students are willingly to still sit there to stand up for their beliefs. Even though pepper spraying is not consider
Arab Spring Movement (Week of Resistance) - Cairo, EgyptArab Spring Movement (Week of Resistance) - Cairo, EgyptArab Spring Movement (Week of Resistance) - Cairo, Egypt

Christians protect Muslims during prayer in Cairo, Egypt.
violence, it is still harmful for the students.

4) Hunger in Kenya (Dadaab, Kenya)

The kid in the picture shows the hunger problem in Kenya. I am not shocked, but sad that not everyone is this world can obtain food, clean water, and other neccessities. It shows that we need to take action to help the people in need.

5) England riots (London, England)

The girl jumping from a window shows how the London riot has impacted normal people's lives. She was forced to jump off because the building was on fire. Non-violent protest is the key because violence can hurt innocent people in this situation.

The picture of the mountains reveals my 2011. I face many challenges I had to overcome this year in order to accomplish my goals. Ending of the most important high school year, junior year, and then, entering senior year has been quite stressful! However, senior year makes college applications and difficult courseload. The mountains show the "roughness" of my 2011, but I made it through!

Because "a picture is worth a thousand words", pictures and images can be a valuable resource for historians. They can clearly show the
Occupy UCD -  Davis, USAOccupy UCD -  Davis, USAOccupy UCD - Davis, USA

A University of California Davis police officer pepper-sprays students during their sit-in at an "Occupy UCD" demonstration in Davis, California. (Jasna Hodzic)
situation of the issue. Moreover, pictures and images can reveal things not described using words because they can show atmosphere of the situation through the emotions of the people or the location of the place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Hunger in Kenya - Dadaab, KenyaHunger in Kenya - Dadaab, Kenya
Hunger in Kenya - Dadaab, Kenya

Mihag Gedi Farah, a seven-month-old child, is held by his mother in a field hospital of the International Rescue Committee in the town of Dadaab, Kenya. The baby has since made a full recovery.
England riots - London, EnglandEngland riots - London, England
England riots - London, England

A woman jumps from a burning building during the London riots in August. (Amy Weston / WENN.com)


Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb