Rihla #14


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
January 6th 2012
Published: January 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post



1) Choose 5 images from 2011 and describe the significance of the image as well as your reaction to the image and questions that it makes you ask.

Photo #2- The photo is shown because it shows a whirlpool shown after a tsunami that happened within the Japenese coast. It saddens me because mother nature is so reckless and can destroy our homes and environment.

Photo #4- Our President Obama and his team are receiving updates on the Osama bin Laden and their mission against him. The photo is significant because it brings people hope and happiness that the national security came together to take down a man who was wrongful of his choices in life. I personally was amazed on how these individuals spend time and come together for us to live in a better place.



Photo #16- "A University of California Davis police officer pepper-sprays students during their sit-in at an "Occupy UCD" demonstration in Davis, California (Jasna Hodzic)." The photo shows a cop taking matters into his own hands with dealing with the situation of the students protesting. The significance of this photo I believe is to show the violence taking place and how people that we thought were there to protect went about the situation in a negative way. I was very shocked because you would not normally see a cop doing that to a bunch of students. I thought the way he went about the situation was very wrong and cruel.



Photo #37- "A student is punched in the face by a police officer in Chile. Students in Chile are demanding a new framework for education." The significance of this photo was to show how children are mistreated in some areas of the world and do not have it the way we do in America. In the photo it visually shows the cop punching a young man in the face and I thought that was unbelieveable. I just cannot believe that a cop would do something like that to a young man that is trying to change his life and receive a better education. As an adult he should know better than to punch a child in the face.

Photo #40- "Harold Camping speaks about the end of the world. The world was supposed to end on May 22 of this year." The photo shows that this man had actually had came up with a date of when the world was going to end. I personally believe that God is the only person who can say or end our world. So many people seem to put their faith into this one man thinking the world would actually end. The photo is significant because it shows how this one man had a big impact on how people actually made choices and decisions coming up to the arrival of the date that he said was going to be the end.



2) Include OR Describe an image/photo that would best explain your year personally for 2011. Explain the significance of the image.

The image that represents 2011 would be what I have above that is labeled as fear. I chose this image because it represents how I am feeling with all the changes that has or is happening. I had fear of 2011 starting and ending because then I would have to start making my own decisions financially and educationally. Although with the image peeking shows curiousity of how I kind of need this change and new beginning of this chapter in my life.



3) Images/photos can be a valuable resource or historians who are trying to understand the past because it gives a visual of what exactly happened during that time. For example, images from 9/11 show what exactly had happened to the twin towers and one can get a sense/feel of how the people felt because of the emotions on their faces within photos. One photo can tell alot in a million words and ways of what happened in a situation and as long as it keeps on being shared the image and the history made within the photo will not be forgotten.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0578s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb