RIHLA #3


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
September 24th 2011
Published: October 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

In class we are studying the effects of social class within the Hindu religion. Through this study we have learned that in Hinduism people are classified by the social ranking they are born into. In this case we have learned that the lowest class under hinduism is the "Untouchables". This is a group of people that are considered the lowest group possible, and they ceive the worst treatment of all of the social class in the caste system. In the article, the "Untouchables" were represented by the Dahlits. They are a group of people who are constantly violated and mistreated under the caste system.
In India, the caste system is something that is respected as a sacred part of Hinduism. From the exercise we did in class, it became apparent that under the caste system the "Untouchables" are just that: they are ignored and mistreated throughout society. On the other hand, the Brahmans are treated as royalty and never treated as common people. The upper class in the caste system hold the belief that it is God's will for them to mistreat the "Untouchables" for their wrong doings in their previous lives.
The treatment of the Dahlits is brutal. Te women can be beaten and raped based on the wrongdoings of the men in their families. In addition, most of the police reports placed on behalf of the Dahlits aren't filed. The way Dahlits are treated in their society relates to the hate crimes performed throughout the United States. In the US there are many crimes done against people due to their race, religion, or sexuality. This in a sense relates to the treatment of the Dahlits because both are being mistreated for things that are outside of their control.
I found it interesting that the Hindu people used their religion as an excuse to mistreat others. I also found it shocking that the Dahlit women could be punished for crimes that they didn't commit. Reading this article made me more aware of America's society and the behavior of people in general.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1000.8kb