The Giant Bean


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
August 20th 2007
Published: October 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The BeanThe BeanThe Bean

The Bean in Millennium Park
It was a good job that we didn't pick this day to go up any of the towers. The weather was awful and we couldn't see the top of the Sears and Hancock towers due to the clouds.

We started the day by meeting up with some friends of ours who moved to America a few years ago. We then went to the John G Shedd Aquarium, Millennium Park, Grant Park and Navy Pier. The aquarium was massive and had tons to see, but I think I preferred the Aquarium of Western Australia (AQWA) in Perth with its glass tunnel (see Koalas, Kangaroos and Even Some Sharks). There was a dolphin display, but the focus has moved from the more traditional acrobatics to conservation.

Millennium Park was brilliant. The Bean particularly appealed to the kids. This is a massive reflective, urr, jellybean, coffee bean, baked bean or whatever (I don't think it particularly matters), which doesn't sound that exciting I know. There were also some massive columns with displays on the sides showing peoples' faces. Apparently, they use the faces of people round-and-about, but that didn't include any of us.

With all the choice on places to eat, make sure that you don't
Under The BeanUnder The BeanUnder The Bean

The reflections underneath the Bean
eat at Navy Pier - or at least don't eat in the place we did. The food was awful. Americans have some kind of squeezable, runny cheese that often completely covers all your food and is simply vial. This place used it by the gallon.

After our busy day in Chicago we drove to Milwaukee, which is not far from Chicago and is where our friends lived.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

FacesFaces
Faces

Face columns in Millennium Park
Chicago FountainChicago Fountain
Chicago Fountain

The fountain in Grant Park
GlobesGlobes
Globes

One of the many globes in Grant Park
ScorpionScorpion
Scorpion

Some modern art outside a Chicago office builing


Tot: 0.327s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 22; qc: 79; dbt: 0.2414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb