Day 3.0 Chicago to Milwaukee


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
September 3rd 2010
Published: September 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Woke up and it's raining but 77f (25c) not heavily. The three of us met at Starbucks for breaky.

Gary has decided to assemble his bike and get going. The Intercontinental Hotel were unable to extend the deal I got thru Hotwire of US$120 per night. It was going to cost him US$240!!

GB & I decided to get our local SIM cards and were directed a few blocks East then North to a T-Mobile outlet. This was about 8.30. Got to the shop and it wasn't going to open till 10.00am!!

We went for a wander to find alternative. No luck and we were lost. By now it was raining quite heavily so we went into a coffee shop that had free WiFi. The connection was that slow that it still hadn't logged in after we finished the coffee. So off back into the rain!!

Following a few directions sought by locals we got back to the Intercontinental soaked. Not to worry. Got our luggage and caught a cab to the Avis rental. Two lovely ladies helped with getting the car and decided to get a GPS to assist our escape from Chicago!!

Whilst chatting we were directed to another T-Mobile outlet, it was by now after 10.00am. It seems that most shops don't open till 10.00am! Coffee shops, 7 Elevens etc are open but not much else!!

This area is in downtown Chicago with all the Blues, Italian area, Gangsters/Al Capone touristy stuff. Those overhead rail systems are just amazing. Anyway got our SIMS - US$40.00 for unlimited calls/texts across USA!!

Back to get the car, Hyundai Sonata, and fire up KAREN (the GPS). While GB was attempting to get KAREN to respond, without much success, I said not to worry I'll use a map we had and try that.

So out into the traffic on the Rt hand side of the road!! Remembering those very wise words “long left, tight right”. Soon found the relevant route directions. One thing here is the signposting is very good.

By the time GB had KAREN responding we were on the freeway north that led onto interstate 294.
Guess what in trying to find a suitable radio station, we found they have a Playboy Radio station!! Quickly changed as we didn't want any more distractions.

As we headed north the Clouds cleared to a sunny warm day. The speed limit was 55mph but seemed most people were traveling at around 70!! So I had to keep up. We went on two toll ways $1.00 and the second $1.50. In total about 70 miles for $2.50. Not bad.

Part 2 coming up

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0394s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1017.3kb