Day 2 Chicago


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
September 3rd 2010
Published: September 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

After a long flight,13.5 hours we arrived in LA. The plane an Airbus 380 was full. An number of young families and little babies meant sleep was difficult!!

Entering USA through Customs/Home Security was a snip. A number of sniffer dogs had me worried as James had only recently returned from Amsterdam and I am using his ruck sack etc!! But it was quick.

Short walk to the American Airlines departure and again through more security. Long lines but eventually cleared. Walking to the departure lounge met GB. He had arrived safetly from Melbourne a little earlier.

Boarded on time and three Aussies in a row!! The other guy is Gary. A hardened Harley and recliner bicycle rider from the Northern Beaches of Sydney. He is here to ride his bicycle along Route 66. He is going to take approx 3 month.. Has done similar rides across and around USA and also in Aus. Bike has completed around 15,000kms.

After the trip into Chicago from O'Hare Airport we had showers, (GB couldn't get his to work and had the resident engineer show him how to use the simple one tap system) the three of us convened for a mini AGM in the bar. Mmmmm cold beer and Glenfiddich!!

We had been told of a variety of potential eateries within walking distance. We set off on a reconnoiter in balmy 77f - warm and humid. We had decided on a traditional steak house or similar and ended up in Joe's Seafood, Steak & Stone Crab. They also had Guinness available!!

I had the recommended steak, GB a turkey burger and Gary ? Washed down with Guinness and a local beer. GB had a lime tart dessert and I the Hawaiian. Yummy!! Having had an adequate sufficiency we headed back to the InterContinental and bed.

Chicago appears to be a very clean city with friendly & helpful locals. Tomorrow we head North to Milwaukee. Gary may join us.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.072s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb