The Valley of the Snake


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Idaho » Boise
September 15th 2021
Published: October 27th 2021
Edit Blog Post

I started early to avoid the trucks -- but they start early too. As the sun came up I was headed North out of the valley of the Great Salt Lake, turning slowly West along I-84. The high desert plateau was a clear light brown and grey, exaggerating the contrast between irrigated land and desert. As the houses fell behind and the landscape cleared, so did the highway. The ride became a joy. Idaho farmers make the desert bloom, with the kind assistance of the Snake River. We reached the Snake and I decided to see what it looked like at Twin Falls. Sorry. Wrong choice. Most of the river had been diverted into irrigation canals, or the power plant, and the famous Twin Falls ran dry. The alfalfa farms looked great. I hadn't realized Idaho was a dairy powerhouse particularly in this southern region.

There were early signs of Idaho's conservative politics. On crossing the state line from Utah, there was a large blue billboard on the right with a message: "Freedom is the Cure" and a woman throwing away her covid mask. Lots of people appear to have following that advice and hospitals had been overwhelmed. I don't want to get sick!

As one approaches Boise there is a large National Birds of Prey sanctuary to the South -- first time I have seen such a place. Boise which seems to be growing the way the Salt Lake region has. With interstates bisecting the town, it sprawls every which way. Unlike some Western cities, there is a well defined Center, with the river, the park, the university and the state Capitol -- very neat and nicely organized. So I spent some time there unwinding and drinking coffee.

Once in Boise I put the motorcycle in the shop for a new set of knobby tires -- the better to ride the BDR. That weekend (Sept 17 - 19) I flew East to Durham NC to attend a family event. Returned to Boise on Sept 19, and started the ride up the Idaho BDR on Sept 21.

Days Travel: Ogden UT to Boise ID - 309 mi


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.172s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0614s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb