Star Spangled Banner


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
June 14th 2015
Published: June 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

It was a special day today from start to finish!

Shannon picked us up this morning and he was a real treat as a guide and driver as we toured around Honolulu and Pearl Harbor.

We had about three hours at Pearl Harbor and it was such a beautiful day. Was able to take a picture with some Army service people who so graciously agreed to pose with Jerry. Did the audio tour of the area and then bought a book from the author and had it signed by one survivor of the attack and was able to get a picture of another. It was a very moving experience and one we will never forget.

We got back to the ship just in time to powder our nose and hop on another bus which took us back to the area only this time right on to Ford Island to board the USS Missouri. I had goose bumps arriving at this huge battleship with US flags flanking our walk to the ship. We were greeted with beautiful leis and young girls doing the hula.

The Missouri was awesome and upon boarding we were given mai tais and told we could explore the ship . The bow was set up for our enjoyment and entertainment was provided while we munched on the most delicious hors d’oeuvres I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. The female servers were dressed and coifed in 1940’s style.

Finally the last of the merry makers were “invited” to board the bus back to the ship although we were reluctant to do so. It was so magical that we didn’t want it to end.



At this point it was only 8:00pm so a group of us met in the lounge for some more partying until 11:00pm. Woohoo!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

A Happy ManA Happy Man
A Happy Man

Bob Graham with servers


15th June 2015

Star Spangled Banner
We loved our time in Pearl Harbor, it was a very moving emotional experience for sure. We did not get the royal treatment you got on the Missouri, how wonderful and unique and on Flag Day non the less. Keep enjoying your wonderful trip because you will be back to reality soon!

Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb