Still on the North Shore...and loving it!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
January 18th 2008
Published: January 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey guys,

Hope you're all doing well. Things here on the North Shore are winding up much to my dismay...we leave on Sunday and whilst we have many more adventures ahead I'm pretty gutted!

I've been spending my days in a dream waking up, going to the gym then running down to the spa,reading my boook then dipping in the pool to cool off, then back to the spa for more of my book. Noice!
Whilst some of you have expressed your envy at out seemingly stress free existance, my morning ritual of heading to the gym haven't been stress free, don't worry. This morning there was nearly an altercation when an oversized woman insisted on spending 50 minutes on the treadmill (at a tiny pace) on a machine that has 20 minute time limit - crazy times people, crazy times!!!

It's amazing to hang out here over winter, when the sun is out it's pretty hot and you can lie in the sun (block your ears mum) without sunscreen and you don't get burnt, you just turn brown...I know, I know, "there's nothing healthy about a tan"...

Wal has been surfing up a storm and claims he is nearly 'surfed out'...the waves have been ing and he's been making the most of it. Wals' been surfing all the hotspots (sunset, pipe, waimea ) and the lcoals are pretty cool - heavy looking dudes but apparently when you get talking to them they're unreal and super friendly (as long as don't drop in on them!!! Note to Wal...this aint Bondi...!) Some of his mates are also here which has been a laugh (can I just say WHEREVER we go in the world some of Wal's mates are ALWAYS here...we pull into one of the beaches at the South Coast and they're there...we go to Bali and they're there and surely, I thought, there is ano chance there will be any in Hawaii...but sure enough...!!!!) - one of them, Nigel (thanks Nigel!!!) hooked us up with an amazing helicopter ride over the island which was a fantastic way to spend the afternoon and something I would totally recommend - as tourists you can spend most of the time skirting around the volcanic mountains not knowing what lies inland - the ride showed us everything and Oahu is such a beautiful island! It's a tropical and lush island where the likes of Lost, Jurassic Park, Fantasy Island and even Magnum P.I have been filmed...we flew over all the spots today and it was a blast - didn't see Higgins but it was so cool to know and see the diversity the island can offer - literally it is a super busy city with fabulous, remote and even traditional country towns. I would say I've fallen in love with the North shore over Waikiki...but then again it's all about what you want from your holiday time...

Eating out has been different here - it's hard to get healthy stuff around here and there's never much short of AU$100 change for the two of us - or perhaps we're just getting sucked into the toursit traps. (note to SHL - send more money, send more money!!!!) Having said this we've been eating at this waterside diner in Haleiwa that has the best sunsets and menu to boot - buffalo wings, mahi mahi (traditional white fish served with capers), portugese stew...yuuuummmmm! but you do need to starve yourself all day to prepare for the feast! All of this of course needs to be washed down with a few tasty Coronas to seal the day off....

So it's three more days and then we head to Tahoe - hopefully my gym time will ensure my legs can endure two weeks of skiing...there's been some serious talk of heading to Vegas baby, Vegas when we're in Tahoe (it's not too far from there) which is super cool...so I'll keep you posted.

I've also got a different e-mail cos the hotmail was going crazy on this computerwhich is georgie.duckworth@gmail.com, Wal's is the same.

So guys, stay safe and I look forward to sending you more goss and hearing all of yours-

much love,

Georgie (& Wal!)

p.s this blog sometimes takes out words like _ so feel free to ad lib for any missing word that might not appear!
p.p.s Wal muight have forgotten to put the special cord in that allows us to download photos fromt he camera so for now we'll just need to use my linguistic skills to paint the pictures until we get it all sorted
xx


Advertisement



23rd January 2008

Glad to hear you are both enjoying yourselves (especially the part about Wal being nearly surfed out). It's comical to hear that runners agro exists across the globe (not just on the bondi to bronte when three sweaty, mid-life crisis, next on the heart attack list males take up the entire pavement forcing you to squeeze through a tiny gap machetti-ing excess body hair in an attempt to pass only to trip on their mangy dog that could really use some of that hair. Well I am being scientist Serena this week and am heading to the ever exotic Iron Cove for four days of experiments. Prof Charles from the Gold Coast has arrived with loads of extra expensive equipment for us to play with. I am also minding the Sammoydes, (Kinky in particular) and so have been taken for a drag around the coastal track, Bronte park and Tamarama for the last few days (generating some runners agro I am sure). If Wal thought Sammy was disobedient he would be horrified with Kinky. Kinky is completely void of training and is beyond help (I have tried, but given that I only have them a few days every few months I realised that it was a lost cause and decided to love them as they are. Note to self: remember to pick up any clothing I wish to keep whole off the floor before going to sleep tonight). I hope you both have a safe flight to the States and the next part of your journey is even more brilliant. Lots of love. Serena

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0391s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb