ALOHA'


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
January 15th 2007
Published: January 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Left the cold weather behind of Las Vegas and heading off to 'paradise'!!
On arrival in Honolulu airport we recieved a traditional 'Lei' Meet and Greet from the locals.
They make you feel very welcomed. At our hotel was no different, warm smiles and beautiful orchids all around...
Positioning of our new home for the next 7 days could be no better, centre of Waikiki beach and shopping/restaurant area.
Best beach we've ever been to, where everything happens and everyone is. Hard to get a spot to lay down, it shoulder to shoulder, you get use to it : )
The water 'cristal clear' as we never seen before!!! You can see you toes from any depth...
The island is surrounded by coral reef which allows for great surfing; the water level is shallow you can actually walk for a great distance before you reach surfable waves!

Booked a complete Island tour. There is more to Oahu island than Waikiki beach.
The north side is surfing beaches only, the rips and swells are too powerful to just swim in, making it perfect tube conditions. Its quite a site to see the surfers riding these awsome waves!!!
Visited pineapple, macademian farms, and drove thru volcanic areas. The island is very scenic, the old lava flows which now form mountains are a spectacular site!
You can see why they use Oahu island for scenes in Lost, Jurassic park and Fantasy Island!
Yes, we said LOST: we were THERE!!!!!!!!

A lot reminded us of Madeira, the house on the hill slops. We've discovered an extended family here, many portuguese immigrants came to part of the world in the 1950's. Jos surname NOBREGA is a popular one, even our tour guide was from portuguese decent!

The south side is where the who's who live, amazing stretch of beach and million dollar homes. They created a huge man made bay to house the boats and yachts.

Spent the afternoon and night at a traditonal 'LUA', where the food and dancing was a site to be seen; a cultural experience!

The centre of town is complete with designer label shops, trendy restaurants and our favourite a swarm of japanese tourists....
Also a bit further out you can find great outlet shopping.

We couldn't ask for a better way to finish this AMAZING and unforgetable 4 month journey.
The life style here is totally relaxed., just the way we wanted it!!!

Mahalo and AHOLA!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb