Day 2 Waikiki Beach in Honolulu Hawaii - 14 June 2015


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
June 14th 2015
Published: June 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day 2 Waikiki Beach in Honolulu Hawaii - 14 June 2015



After a much needed sleep, we were ready for the beach holiday. We had a fantastic breakfast at the hotel, enjoying the scenes around and in the Hyatt Regency Hotel. The day was spent wandering around Waikiki Beach area.

We visited the Garden of Il Luipino Restaurant near Sheraton and many of the hotel malls. We walked up and down the beach and saw the Surfer and dolphin statue on the beach front.

We learned that this was the last day of the 15th Pan Pacific festival and noticed from the flyer we were given on the street, there were many venues that offered entertainment throughout the day. We decided to catch some of the entertainment in the nearby shopping centres for Pan Pacific Festival. There was plenty of Hula dancing, a big drumming group which reverberated throughout one of the shopping malls.

We also caught the Trolley to the Ala Moana Centre. This is the largest shopping mall in Hawaii and the fourteenth largest shopping mall in the United States. Ala Moana Centre has well over 300 tenants and is truly, a shopper's paradise. We wandered around for a couple of hours and then returned to Waikiki.

Next was the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Centre. Located in the heart of revitalized Waikiki, the Royal Hawaiian Centre is one of Oahu's top shopping malls. The Oahu mall features a wide variety of shopping and dining options amongst its 110 shops and restaurants. The shopping centre underwent a massive renovation in 2007 which opened up views to the Royal Hawaiian Hotel and added tenants including an Apple Store, Kate Spade, Gucci, Hermes, and others.



Back at Waikiki, wanting to catch more of the entertainment of the Pan Pacific festival , we also noticed a big Japanese influence, including performances from them.

It was a very varied day around Honolulu.

In the late afternoon, they had a big parade of all the local and cultural groups and schools, which went along the esplanade. It went for about 2 hours.

At sunset, we sat on the beach and watched the Hula Festival section of the Pan Pacific celebrations. The stage show included the story of Hawaii danced through the Hula Dance School of both adult students and children. That night, we found another restaurant at the Holiday Inn (Jimmy Swaggert) and had a fish dish - everything was so fresh.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb