Pearl Harbour


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
November 14th 2014
Published: November 15th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today we went on a tour out to Pearl Harbour. We got to learn all about what happened when Japan attacked America's navel fleet at Pearl Harbour on December 7th, 1941.

They surprised the people on a Sunday morning, 21 ships were damaged or sunk including the Arizona which had hundreds of men on board when it sunk. We took a ferry out to the memorial where we had to be really quiet as the men are still stuck underwater in the ship and its now a graveyard.

Parts of the ship are still on top of the water, including the gun tower. It was really sad. Mum and dad met a man named Jeff at our hotel who also went to Pearl Harbour today. His dad was on the USS Oaklahoma which was the first ship to be bombed and it rolled over, over 400men died on that ship. Jeff's dad survived but he couldnt walk anymore because he was shot.

We then went out to the battleship USS Missouri, it's famous because it's where the war ended. The treaty was signed on the deck and. Got to stand right where it happened. We also go to walk all through the ship and look at then Different parts. I also saw them dents in the side where a Japanese kamikaze pilot flew his plane into he side. He died and they buried him at sea.

The battleship is also famous as it was used as the ship in the movie battleship where the aliens invade and the ship is the only thing that can fight them. So now I'm famous too I think because I got to be on a famous ship..

Tomorrow I'm going snorkelling with giant sea turtles.

Love Kye.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Anti-aircraft gunsAnti-aircraft guns
Anti-aircraft guns

I'll shoot down those enemy planes
Shaved iceShaved ice
Shaved ice

The best way to cool off


Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb