Under The Ryukyuan Sun....


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Waikiki
September 4th 2007
Published: September 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Under The Ryukyuan Sun…

they glanced back at their motherland, perhaps for the very last time, as they boarded the ships bounded for the scorching pineapple and sugar plantations of Hawaii, over a hundred years ago.

The past weekend the descendents of these Okinawan immigrants celebrated their 25th Annual Parade and Festival in Waikiki. The event has grown so much, they could no longer use the existing bandstand in Kapiolani Park but constructed a special stage, with Diamond Head in it’s backdrop.

Okinawa, along with the rest of the Ryukyu Islands was once an independent Kingdom with their own language and culture, but fell under Japanese Rule during the early 1600. Basically most races here automatically consider Okinawans as Japanese, but seeing how the local Okinawans hold their own special Festival, one can surmise the Okinawans themselves may see themselves as not just Japanese.

The world may recognize the Okinawans for their best longevity records. Locally, we recognize them mostly for their lively samisen and drumming and passionate love for High Spirited dancing, with lots of whistling, chanting and group participation.. Their cuisine consists of Shoyu Pork, pig feet soup, and Bitter melon, which tastes exactly what it name denotes. Their pastry is an Andagi, a round pastry deep fried in vats of oil. This seems to throw a monkey wrench into the theory that fatty foods caused shortened lives. Perhaps the secret is eat whatever you like, but party hardy party too.



Additional photos below
Photos: 74, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb