Heart and Seoul..(Restored Lost Entry)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu » Honolulu
July 27th 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The 6th Annual Korean Festival was held at Kapiolani Park in Waikiki. According to the MC there are approximately 40,000 Koreans in Hawaii, not a very large number or maybe about 5% of the local population. They first arrived in Hawaii during the early 1900’s to work on the Pineapple plantations.

It seems as if only during the 1980’s another large wave arrived, who pretty much maintained their language and culture and weren’t assimilated as the earlier wave. Instead of laborers, many opened up their own business, large and small. With the popularity of Korean Soaps and movies, in spite of their small numbers their impact and presence are pretty much felt. Korean restaurants and Delis are everywhere and popular lunch choices for take outs as the food are very tasty and plentiful.

Upon arrival at the Festival Site, a Chinese Lion Dance Troupe was performing. Metal poles of various heights about 6’ and 4’ with round metal pads welded to the top were present for which the 2 manned lions were to mount and jump from pole top to pole top. However it was drizzling so it never took off, a big disappointment to me and I’m sure to the rest of audience.

Following, were the traditional dances of Korea involving colorful costumes, lots of percussion such as drum and cymbals, large fans and twirling head ribbons. A Taekwondo School put up an impressive Martial Arts show with skits and mock battles, katas done to hiphop music, high jumping and board breaking. A lot regarding character building, humility and being good citizens were emphasized in their training.

While all this was going on, smoke from the grilling of beef and chicken wafted over the crowd making their mouths water and anxious to converge on the large selection of barbeques, deep fried dumplings or Mandoo, noodles and various pickled vegetables. For those seeking a free meal, a Kimchi eating contest was held. Kimchi is a highly spiced pickled cabbage dish, so it would be almost like having a salsa eating contest. Of course it evoked lots of laughter and good humor. Ironically none of the winners seemed to be of Korean ancestry.
ublish


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb